PDA

View Full Version : Questions Regarding My Heater

Vlad Marco
12-21-2000, 12:27 AM
Hey fellow van maniacs I have some questions involving the heater in my 64 panel,anyway the heater doesn't seem to crank out enough heat even though the heater core is not blocked and the fan motor works fine so is there a small thermo coil built into the heater duct that might be defective ?,hey any help would be greatly appreciated cuz Iam freezing my *** off !!. Thanx in advance.... Vlad.

painterchris
12-21-2000, 08:24 AM
Heh. I have you beat: I drove 800 miles in my uninsulated 64 panel van on sunday and monday. My heater core is bad, so I have no heat at all. The daytime high on monday was 40 degrees. I think the average temperature inside the van was about 30. I had to stop several times and run my feet under some warm water.

Anyway, enough of my problems. Have you actually taken the fan out? Or are you assuming it's okay because you can hear it running? My 65 had a heat problem and I couldn't figure out what it was until I took the fan out. The fan was full of leaves and a giant lint ball. So, basically, no air could get through the fan at all. I'm probably lucky that the lint ball didn't catch fire, since it filled the entire fan. Also, check for anything blocking the heater duct. Your heater should be able to keep you relatively warm on all but the coldest days. BTW, there is no other electric coil as far as I know...Just a standard core and a fan.
Good Luck,
Andy.

pat69chevan
12-21-2000, 10:48 AM
HEATER PROBLEMS!!! i remember when i was a kid and folks would take us to school in our 67 108. my two older brothers, myself, and my little sister would plant our butts on the dog house to keep warm, those heaters are to small to heat such a big vehicle, so i decide that i would install a track or snaps from floor to ceiling to install some sort of removable curtain, possible canvas with a lexan window in it to see out the back through my rear view mirror. i have access to an industrial sew machine heavy enough to sew canvas material, WAIT A MINUTE!!!! why not construct a folding frame that fastens to the floor and ceiling, the frame would have snaps on it to snap the canvas on, kinda like a tonneau cver on a truck bed. I KNOW THESE IDEAS SOUND A LITTLE CRAZY, BUT WHEN I GET STARTED ON MY IDEAS, IT IS HARD TO STOP ME!!! i believe that an idea like this could help keep the heat where it is needed the most. i havent driven my van in the winter yet, i am paranoid of all the other drivers hitting my baby, especially those morons in their so called SUVS, they drive the road like they own it!!! also i dont drive my van in the snow because she is hibernating now, getting rested for the spring to cruise and pick up chicks.

later guys

pat

Vanner68
12-21-2000, 06:49 PM
The coil you are referring to is the resistor for the low speed on the fan. In addition to checkin for junk in the fan, ceck to see that the squirrel cage fan is tight on the motor shaft. if not, motor runs, but fan blade doesn't. These puppys don't have much heat, you could add a second heater behind the seats to heat all that vacant space. JC Whitney and Northen Supply both have self contained heaters that just hook into your heater hoses and run 12 v to it to run the fan.

Vlad Marco
12-24-2000, 10:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vlad Marco:

Hey fellow van maniacs I have some questions involving the heater in my 64 panel,anyway the heater doesn't seem to crank out enough heat even though the heater core is not blocked and the fan motor works fine so is there a small thermo coil built into the heater duct that might be defective ?,hey any help would be greatly appreciated cuz Iam freezing my *** off !!. Thanx in advance.... Vlad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey thanx for the info people I really appreciate it and yeah there is no trouble with the fan at all it seems to push out plenty of air & all of the speeds work fine when you turn the knob so maybe it's just a minor problem so I will continue to check it out & if anyone has any further advice then that would be great.....thanx in advance. Oh btw you can see a pic of my van in the gallery in the 1964 section...rock on !!...Vlad.

HippieVanDave
01-22-2001, 07:40 AM
I had an old Chevy truck some years ago, and the heater was much as yours sounds. The defrost worked ok, and the heater was barely so-so. You may want to look into a better fan, I believe the later fan (say 75?) is better and faster. Did you reverse-flush the core? A garden hose does the job nicely. I just flush it both ways repeatedly, till I've made a pretty big mess, and that has worked wonders for me. Also check the various doors and cables to make sure they are opening and shuttung all the way. Here's why. I finally had enough of being cold, so I removed the entire assembly from the. I was figuring the heater core was just blocked so bad i couldn't clear it.(wrong-o) There was a shotgun shell wedged in the cold/hot door, never letting it shut fully. I drove that old thing for 3 years like that! I'm not a gun person, but that sure SOUNDS scary! Good luck David

prostreet65
01-22-2001, 08:11 PM
You think that's bad, years ago I was parting
out an old Suburban and I figured the easiest
way to get the heater core out was from the
outside with a TORCH! So I cut this big hole
in the firewall, pull the metal back, and you
guessed it, there's a live 12 gauge shell
laying down in the heater box...

Vanner68
01-22-2001, 08:21 PM
BOOM BOOM! Out go the lights!

Ross
02-21-2001, 05:29 PM
My first vintage chevy van was a 66. I remember that the heater would not give off heat when the engine coolant got low.
Just an idea.
Since I used it when my kids were young, about 20 years ago, I made a wooden box around a heater core and fan from the junk yard. I don't remember what it was out of, but I do remember that my brother-in-law, at the time, worked as a Mercedes mechanic, and he brought home a pump that Mercedes used to get hot water to their rear seat heaters. It was a simple, small, 12 volt motor on a simple in-line pump that I easily installed after a "Y" in the heater hose. Worked like a champ, and gave all the heat that the kids wanted to the back.
Wow, has it really been that long?
Ross in Boulder Colorado
Jeep69CJ5@Juno.com

punkvanner
02-22-2001, 10:18 AM
i used a clear plastic shower curtin on mine untill it got so cold the plastic just fell apart

68chevyboy
02-22-2001, 02:26 PM
my heater is frozen up and rusty. it needs a complete rebuild. the knobs you pull are completely frozen stuck with rust so i took the whole unit out for a rebuild. what kind of parts go bad other than the fan motor, and where can i get them?

gotavan
02-22-2001, 09:17 PM
Heat in a chevy van ? Only in the summer and then its HOT! I don't how something can get so cold its like a freezer. The doghouse looks frosty,like both sides of the windshield. I scrape both sides on the way to work. End up driving like a locomotive with my head out the window. Then a hole appears in the ice about the size of a potato but I'm there. Van heaters dress for the temperature. Felt pack boots winter Fire suit booties summer. Also open crotch cooler summer,stuff with insulation and tape shut winter. Remove all ammo from heat ducts. Cables can be freed up by bending and soaking with lube is best if taken apart may have to cut end to get apart. Housing can be replaced with lawn mower control cable if the old one is too rusty to clean out. I wish summer was here so I could be sweatin in that oVan. Dan

------------------
gotavan