PDA

View Full Version : Radiator hoses, engine and tranny size

MoonJoe
12-07-2000, 05:45 PM
Does anybody know what kind of rplkacement rdiator hoses fit my 64 (6 cyl). I just got my radiator re-cored (went from a two to a three) and the guy told me it was half clogged with metal from the flexible raditor hoses. In order to get the right one I went to the parts store and the guy said he could get the lower hose if I had the 190 but not the upper and vice versa if I had the 230. Trouble is I do't know what size engine I have. I hope to throw the radiator in this weekend and if I have to i'll just hook up the old hoses to try to come up with a measurement. I thought someone might have allready gone through this and might have some info. Also what's the easiest way to confirm the engine size as well as the tranny type? It was originally a stick but someone converted it to an automatic. Thanks guy's, Joe.

------------------

painterchris
12-08-2000, 12:09 AM
I had this problem too. I solved it by taking my radiator into the parts store. We measured it there with calipers and found the right hoses. BTW, those "universal" flexible-type hoses suck. If you want the real hoses, try a NAPA store. That's where I got mine.
LAter,
Andy.

painterchris
12-08-2000, 12:11 AM
Oh yeah, if your van is a 64 and the radiator is original, you had a 194 engine. I'm pretty sure that the 230 wasn't an option until 66 or 67.
Later,
Andy.

greyfoxmc
12-14-2000, 09:20 AM
Hi MoonJoe, once again NAPA comes through. My `66 uses p/n 777 for the upper and p/n 7438 for the lower. Hope this is of some help...I also changed from 2 to 3 core...Mike

[This message has been edited by greyfoxmc (edited December 14, 2000).]

MoonJoe
12-19-2000, 08:02 PM
Thanks greyfox, before I got your response I went down to the auto parts store and found replacements. Although the top hose is a little small around the radiator. I'll keep the part #'s that you gave and next time use them. Thanks, Joe

tonye66
03-18-2001, 10:59 AM
Hey Painterchris,
I just replaced the upper radiator hose in my 66 and it is a flexible universal hose. the guy at murrays auto gave me the strangest look when I told him it was a 66. After 15 minutes of searching his computer, he finally just gave up and gave me the flexible hose and sent me on my way. I installed it with no problem and it works better than the old one. Maybe it's just me.

painterchris
03-18-2001, 03:49 PM
Well, those flexible hoses tend to kink instead of bending. So, they restrict coolant flow. Even if it doesn't kink, the metal spring inside (which is supposed to prevent kinking) tend to corrode away, eventually sending chunks of metal through your cooling system. Not good. I just really can't recommend flexible hoses if you plan to keep your van for a while.
Later,
Andy.

Yeggster
03-18-2001, 08:11 PM
I've used the flexable hoses wiht the metal spring inside them on many vehicles over the years.......many stock bottom rad hoses even factiry original use the spring in them too.........it's to stop the hose from colapseing.

The hose I took off my old engine in the van was very old.........I took the spring OUT of it to put in my new bottom hose as it did not have one.

Anyway.......because its so darn cols up here I keep the coolent to water ratio in my cars at 50% or better...........I think that may be the reason I have never had problems with the spring in the hose rusting away.........in fact until now I've never heard of it

Yeggster

MoonJoe
03-18-2001, 10:13 PM
Yeggster, When I had my radiator re-cored the guy at the shop told me that it was fifty percent blocked by metal debriS. He said it probably came from the metal wire in those flex hoses (Which what was on my vAN). Well, I had the radiator converted to a three core (it was the standard two) and put it back in. When I went to replace the flex hose on top I looked inside and there it was, all kinds of rusted steel from the hose just sitting inside. To top that off I reached inside the water pump and pulled out even more "rusted rings" just sittin inside the pump. Just thinking about the damage that could create conviced me not to use them anymore. It was a pain findng replacements but I think well worth it. I know running the 50/50 mix would help prevent the rust but the guy at the radiator shop said the heat alone "busts" out the steel inside the hose. Anyway that was my experiance, goodluck! Joe