PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice here

Vlad Marco
10-01-2000, 01:35 AM
Hey all of you fellow van nuts I have posted this before but with no reply anyway there has got to be someone out there that knows how to convert one of these earlies to power steering cuz living in the big city makes it really hard when you gotta park one of these vans in a tight spot so any advice or hints would really be appreciated I mean disc brakes are great and I have some info on a rare option that had power brakes in a 1969-70 van so this might help if anyone needs to inquire,so please fellow truckers give me a hand here. Thanx in advance...Vlad. Proud owner of a 1964 Chevy Panel Van.

Yeggster
10-04-2000, 12:35 AM
Hmm I've never seen power breaks in an early......must be nice http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Far as I know there is no power steering box for the earlys.....is there?? not up till 66 anyway........but the 60's C 10's had a cool set up with a power ram that attched one end to the tie rod an the other to the frame.........it used a normal power steering pump that ran 2 lines down to the power ram.......the ram activated when you turned the steering wheel.......it looked like a steering stabilizer kind of.

I drove an old dodge 4X4 that had the set up it worked fine.......and heavy school busses used a similar system up till the late 80's I belive

anyway if you got the ram off a C-10 and a pump it shoould hook up OK the only problem I can see if the travle is not long enough?

Shane

painterchris
10-04-2000, 04:31 PM
Hey, I have also seen the sort of power steering setup you are talking about. Ford had a similar rig on the 68-74 vans with a cylinder that assisted the steering linkage between the pitman arm and the tie rod. The only concern I have is this: in most later model vehicles, the steering box for the power steering has a different gear ratio than the steering box for the vehicles with no power assist. So, you may want to be sure that this gear ratio change will not be an issue. If you get the power cylinder from an early chevy pickup, try to find out if the steering box has the same gear ratio as the manual box. If they are the same, it should be no problem.
LAter,
Andy.

Vlad Marco
10-05-2000, 10:45 PM
Hey thanx for your replies and I was thinking that maybe there is a way to change the steering column and weld a new end on that would bolt right up to the pittman arm or steering arm maybe shortaning a later year column and fabricating something would work ?,so what do you other people think ?....let me know : ).....Thanx ...Vlad.

Yeggster
10-06-2000, 12:47 AM
Vlad the newer stearing gear boxes have the pitman arm at a diferent angle if you really wanted to work at it the donner vehicle would have to be a simmilar forward control van.

I think the power ram idea is easiest.

If you come up with anything though let us know!

Shane

Vanner68
10-06-2000, 08:01 PM
of course the easiest option is powerhouse gym........

Yeggster
10-07-2000, 09:18 AM
Vanner68.........He he I was going to say something like that http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

When I get in a tight spot like down town parking or whatever.....I just LOVE cranking my 66 around.......it's like a free work out gym........of course I'm used to hard work......but even so I can remeber when I first got the van haveing some sore muscle groups but now it's no problem http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

romeo68
11-08-2000, 12:39 AM
i have been looking at the setup on a old ford truck it's a 4x4 with front leaf springs and the steering gear box is a lot like the chevys in the way it's set up it's a manual box with the power asist that you all are talking about it's the bendix linkage type also know as the ford non-integal power steering system it has two parts the control valve that is on the connecting rod and the power cylinder that moves the steering linkage if you ask me this is the best way to get power steering in our vans i hope to buy this setup and get started on my 68 van on!!

Shawn
11-12-2000, 07:55 PM
Has anyone thought of "sub framing" an early chevy yet? I have subframed many cars & trucks and have even thought of doing it to my 69. I think it can be done. Or you maby could try a mustang 2 rack set up. talk to some of you're local street rod guys and they will be able to point you to somone who can handle the job. if you decided to do it make shure you get a good shop who can handel it. if you cant find one, the shop i am at has been bilding customs for 36 years and believe me we can handel it.

AJAX
11-12-2000, 11:50 PM
LIKE A 88 CORVETTE FRAME WITH COMPLETE SUSPENSION, MASSAGED A LITTLE BIT FOR A 502, BOLTED TO A 700R, BOLTED TO A CADILLAC CV JOINT, BOLTED DIRECTLY TO THE CORVETTE REAR HOUSING, FOR AN ABSOLUTLEY PERFECT PLATFORM FOR A FIBERGLASS REPRODUCTION 1965 FLAT GLASS
BODY? YOU MEAN SOMETHING LIKE THAT? ONLY SOMEONE WITH ROCKS IN THE HEAD WOULD EVEN THINK ABOUT SOMETHING SO BIZZARE. SOMETHING LIKE THAT WOULDN'T BE ANY FUN TO DRIVE AT ALL. SOMETHING LIKE THAT, THAT I'VE BEEN PLANNING AND DESIGNING FOR OVER TWO YEARS.

Shawn
11-13-2000, 11:00 PM
have you ever thought about using jag stuff my boss has a full set up front and rear and everything is chrome it even has true knock off wire wheels on it i dont relly know what he wants for it but i can find out.
good luck on a relly radical ride
Shawn

AJAX
11-14-2000, 05:33 PM
SHAWN I OWNED JAGS IN THE PAST AND TWO THINGS ONE THE REPAIR COST ARE OUCH AND TWO IT NO GM. BESIDES, ALL THAT LIGHT WEIGHT ALUM. STUFF LOOKS REALLY GREAT SHINED UP. BUT REALLY ITS THE WORDS GENERAL MOTORS.

Ross
02-08-2001, 04:42 PM
I am definately going to power steering. Unfortunately, I have other commitments first. The hyd ram Idea will work. My 72 Ford van had it, but boy was it sloppy and I just concidered it Mickey Mouse.
If you want expert opinions on steering set ups, go to a good 4 X 4 shop. They do wonders with steering. When you put a lift kit on a 4X4 you have to change the steering geometry for it to work right. Much is fabricated right on the spot. Many trucks are lifted so high that NO dropped pitman arm or reversed spindles will work. In that case they use hyd cylinders that are controlled by a hyd controller that is attached to the dash. No steering control other than hydraulic. Too scarry for me.
But they could offer great advice.
Do VW Vans have power steering?
How about those Toyota Vans?
Doesn't Mitsubitshi make a cab forward van?
Those steering systems would be interesting to look at in a junk yard.
I haven't gotten into it, but I do look forward to the challange.
Good luck.
Ross in Boulder Colorado
Jeep69CJ5@Juno.com