PDA

View Full Version : troubleshooting

65dream
11-26-2001, 11:57 AM
this morning after starting the van up the gen light stayed on for a good 2 minutes then went off and on until i got to work does this defenently mean my starter is going out or what other things could it be thanks again you guys always have helped thanks from frank

65dream
11-26-2001, 12:52 PM
also if the van starts an d that light comes on do you think ill make it home or could the van just die out. thaanks ,frank

65dream
11-26-2001, 02:53 PM
maybe what i meant to say was generator or altornator is going bad? it is later in the day now i satarted it and the gen fan stayed on for the five minutes it was running what is going on?thanks alot, frank

[This message has been edited by 65dream (edited November 26, 2001).]

Scott
11-26-2001, 06:36 PM
Check the connections on the alternator. Make sure the contacts(metal) is shiny and the nuts are on tight, your wires should also be checked for corrosion. You can test the alternator or have it tested. If you want to pull it appart just find VOM meter and any alternator test manual(there are many out there, I'm sure you library even has what you need.) You might not have a growler but it's likely a simpler problem. Like worn brushes.

Good Luck

ahighdiver
11-26-2001, 06:46 PM
Frank;
It sounds like your voltage regulator was stuck.I suspect so because it has happened just as the weather changed. Sometimes it will stick when it is old and the weather turns very humid. The regulator will get hot when it is stuck and can damage the battery by overcharging it. If it happens more you should take it to an alternator or electrical motor shop and have your charging system tested. that is easier than removing the alternator and having it tested. And won't tell you if it is the regulator.
I plan on returning to the Carson City junk yard soon. Wanna ride.?
HD.

65dream
11-27-2001, 12:04 AM
HD , is the voltage regulator that small box in the back of the doghouse ?when were you thinking to go to carson yeah i want to go,thanks frank

BZ
11-27-2001, 06:46 AM
consider installing an alternator with an internal voltage regulator.....
BZ