PDA

View Full Version : wiper motor nightmare

MadElf
08-16-2000, 07:24 PM
I'm at my wit's end. (not that that signifies much in itself)but anyway...
My wipers just stopped cold. I checked them out. My mechanic checked them out. The consensus was a bad motor. Got a new one from Advance Auto (would you believe it was in stock?), hooked it up and... nothing. Pulled it out & set it on the bench, jumped power to it, & it ran. (So did the old one) Jump power to it while its in the van, mind you, nothing happens. Yanked the switch out of the dash & ran power through it on the bench & the motor moves. But we're not confused enough yet! This is a two speed setup. Two speed switch, two speed motor, we can only get it to go one speed. Shut the switch off & the motor stops, right where it is (no advancing to stop at the bottom of the windshield).
Has anyone run into these antics before or am I the lucky first? Any guesses or suggestions as to what's happening here?
Cal

Vandalizer
08-17-2000, 05:59 PM
Well, I`m no expert on auto electrics but I`ve had problems with my wiper motor before. One thing to keep in mind is that the wiper motor has power going to it whenever the key is on and the switch actually supplies the ground to make it come on. So, one thing to check is make sure it has a good ground. Good Luck

MadElf
08-18-2000, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the input.
We finally got it worked out. With the help of a Haynes wiring diagram and a completely new set of wires feeding the wiper motor and pump...It works! Still not sure exactly where the problem was in the wiring before, but at least I can drive without fear of rain again.
I hope all of you folks know how great it is to be able to run stuff by you. Even if I don't get all the answers I might hope for, it is much appreciated the way you folks are always willing to help as much as possible.