PDA

View Full Version : happy modifications?

vanogre
10-02-2001, 02:52 PM
what has been good bad and ugly, in the realm of major modifications any pearls of wisdom?

skip-e
10-02-2001, 07:19 PM
1967 90"
One of the first things I did was install gas filler door from AMC Matador to repair trouble spot around filler. Looks like it should have been there. I was given three one barrel carbs and manifold so I bought headers to put on 250, really adds grunt. Wanted at one time to put in V8 but now I'm actually glad I kept the six-very smooth. I also chromed the Glove box door, ash tray and headlight doors-nice touch but headlight doors are now silver paint. 245/60 X 15's in back 235/60 X 14's in front for clearance. Replaced rear doors with ones without windows, relocated license plate below bumper. Put in firebird seats. Nothing too extreme but subtle touches. I love it!

Vanner68
10-02-2001, 07:21 PM
For God's sake, never, NEVER cut up your pristine stock dash http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/eek.gif

TurboVan
10-02-2001, 11:22 PM
NOW you tell me! --- TV

Vanner68
10-04-2001, 03:50 PM
I know, I cut mine up and now I'm using pieces of Duane's bent up dash to restore mine. And to think I cut mine up to put in a flat wood dash. What was I thinking?

65dream
10-04-2001, 04:01 PM
whoever put this cd player in my van left a crazy wiggly 1/2 inch space on top any suggestion when i put a new cd player in to help it look better or am i screwed thanks, frank

Scott
10-08-2001, 10:44 PM
Build an overhead console for the CD. It's the best advice I took. Mine looks wicked and my front speakers are there as well. My dash still needs repair, when I got it there was/is a hole front and center, from some kind of fan mount. I'm just going to MIG a peice in.

vanogre
10-15-2001, 03:35 PM
I looked for well over 2 years wanting to find a knob mount cd player, they are not made. . i went with a pioneer super tuner, an will soon be installing an rf 10 disc changer. best/only solution for digital sound. in these old buggys, unless of course you opt for surgery.

Vanner68
10-15-2001, 08:33 PM
or if your glovebox liner is shot, you can mount a remote control cd head unit in the glovebox (I have a Kenwood KDC-316 in an overhead console). Close the door when parked and no one is the wiser. Open it up when driving and use the hand held remote to control it.

HippieVanDave
11-02-2001, 10:44 PM
I had a 67 90" that someone had done this rustic wood interior thing. Kinda like an old hunting cabin, ya know. That was nice, but then the next owner put the multishade of blue Shag carpeting everywhere! He (or she, bad taste is not gender specific) just glued it on top of the wood. Too bad, because the wood would have looked except for the glue stains. It also had 15" rims in back, with huge mud tires and air shocks, and little 195/70/14's in front. It looked like a caricatiture from the 60's.
Fun, though
David

Rossstan
11-03-2001, 08:40 AM
On my 72 Ford Van, I built an overhead console to house a lot of stuff. I took off the rear view mirror because it was in the way and mounted on the bottom of the console, much closer to my face and farther to the left. This gave me a much greater view to the rear (because the mirror was closer to my eyes) and lined up with the left rear door window. It seemed like there was no longer a verticle bar in the rear window.
This was one of the best changes I ever made on a van. And if you have a window van, you get a great view to the right rear blind spot too.
Since my 65 and 66 are not on the road yet, I haven't checked out whether or not this would work on an early.
It would seem to be easy to play with this type of setup simply by holding up a spare mirror to the approximate position.
Ross, in Boulder Colorado.