View Full Version : outside sun visor

07-07-2001, 09:03 PM
I am looking for an outside sun visor. the style that i am looking to get is like the one on smileys' van. I worried if it's new stock or old stock. If anyone knows where to get them let me know.

07-07-2001, 10:46 PM
Hey yeah,I think those are cool too...

07-08-2001, 11:06 PM
I've been asked so many times about that visor. It was on the van when I bought it and the former owner stopped in at my job the day before we left for Branson. I told him that everyone had been asking where they could find a visor like that and wanted to know where they could find one.

After laughing a bit, this is what he said:
"I was driving home in the van one day and saw it on the street. Someone had it out for the trash. I don't know anything about it, what it came off of, nothing. I threw it in the back of the van, painted it up, and put it on. To tell you the truth, at first I didn't even like it".

As for me, I think it likely was an aftermarket truck item awailable from JC Whitney. It's made of fiberglass.

07-09-2001, 04:08 PM
hey smiley, sorry to catch you off guard with the phone call the other night, i figured you were busy, sorry about that. now to the subject of the sun visor, i was talking to warlock the other day and i believe that he said that he has a visor on his van, maybe he might know if they are available and where. i plan on asking him the next time i talk to him.



07-10-2001, 12:01 AM
Maybe somebody who knows what they're doing with fiberglass or some other composite material could take a mold of this visor and make a few of them. I did fiberglass for several years. It wouldn't be too hard to do this assuming you have access to the materials and you know what you're doing.


07-10-2001, 06:07 PM
I think it would look best if it looked like the ones on the 55-56-57 chevy pick ups. With the chrome strip in the center. If you could work out the curve and mount point it could be done from sheet metal about 16 gauge or whatever the thickness of sheet metal in the original visor from the pick up trucks.

07-12-2001, 06:11 PM
Hi All,
Hey I think that the visor is a great idea and have looked for one for quite a few years with no luck. Now I have a friend who works in fiberglass boat and airplane parts who is willing to make a mold and sell us some visors. There are a few questions that need to be answered prior to doing this.
1. Would we require different visors to cover the 64-69 (flat and curved windshields)?
2. How many people would be intersted in purchasing this from him? We would need to see if the numbers are sufficient for a small production run.
3. As I only have 66's (three of them) if the curved windows require a different mold I would need a 67,68 or 69 to work with.

Thanks and e-mail me for any questions,
see you all at the Left Coast Rally.......


07-19-2001, 09:19 AM
I have an outside visor on my 69 that was made for a 66. It had to be flattened out slightly to fit but it turned out fine. I also have a spare metal visor from an early chevy pickup. They both work well at keeping the sun out of my eyes but here's the catch, when you're sitting at a stoplight and you're the first in line you always haave to peek under the visor to see the light change, otherwise it looks so trick.


09-26-2005, 08:40 AM
I think one of the after market universal visors was the *Fulton Visor* which telescoped to various widths. This search should turn up a few on eBay http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl =http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=Fulton+Visor&category0= (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=Fulton+Visor&category0=)

Here are the instructions and model information for the Fulton http://www.indfloorcoating-repair.com/fultonsunshield.htm


[This message has been edited by 2clones (edited September 26, 2005).]

09-26-2005, 08:55 AM
i think many may be interested..
i for one am in a 64-66 one..
question is... how much?

aka Trebor
09-26-2005, 09:40 AM
I sorta remember seeing an old car with an inside mirror that had a prizm or an angled little mirror on the bottom to be able to see under the visor. Trouble with gettin' old, suffer from CRS (cant remember $hit)

09-26-2005, 12:56 PM
I believe that little mirror was called a "Trafficator." Here in California, we have additional traffic lights mounted down low just above the crosswalk indicators. It's great to be able to watch the lower set of lights when the sun would be in your eyes if you had to stare at the upper set.

[This message has been edited by dieselvan (edited September 26, 2005).]