PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 van

punkvanner
05-17-2001, 03:08 PM
any one ever think of just takeing out The straight front axel and puting in a 4x4 axel out of a truck and puting in thhe transfer case? any body done this?

queequeg
05-17-2001, 05:51 PM
yeah, it'd be simple as pie, but why would you want to do it?
dan

Yeggster
05-17-2001, 08:12 PM
I have seriously thought about it!

I've built a REALLY big 4X4 before with 20" split rims and wheels of a 18 wheeler http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif.......it had 26 forward gears and 13 reverse too!

I was plannig to do it in stages........first puttiing in the front axle.......that would give us disc brakes too! http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

BUT the big probelem is rear drive shaft length it would have ot be very short........also to have any ground clearance to speak of it would have to ride real tall!.......the darn things are so tippy stock it would be hard to keep on the wheels off road.......makeing it a show street only sort of rig

THAT'S what made me change my mind.....i like drivable trucks.

Not to say you could not make it work.......but it would not be that easy to make it work WELL

Yeggster

sambowie
05-17-2001, 08:44 PM
Wouldnt a Early Bronco driveshaft work?

tonye66
05-17-2001, 10:13 PM
You might to be able to flip the leaf springs over, or put the 4x4 axle on the top of the leafs to not make it to high. You might want to get a stabilizer bar in the front and back. You don't have to get ridiculous with height to go off roading. I am just putting ideas out for you guys to ponder. Oh yeah, I just got a new Job about 4 hours ago and I am going to keep the van.

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited May 17, 2001).]

Vanner68
05-19-2001, 10:39 PM
I've seen a few 4x4 earlies- all 108" and using Blazer axles and transfer case. worst part is transfer case linkage, I saw one with the lever in the back of the van!

punkvanner
05-21-2001, 12:12 PM
yeah i knew the transfer case shifter would have to be in the back the only thing i was woried about was the stearing would that be tricky? i got a new job too i work at a body shop now

Vanner68
05-21-2001, 04:33 PM
Looked like they just hooked the stock early drag link to the Blazer axle, but I never thought to ask.