PDA

View Full Version : Stupid lighting tricks?

Joe
06-27-2001, 06:34 PM
Ok- I have a real dumb one here, guys...
Getting my '69 up and roadworthy........
The latest cute trick is getting the lighting up & running. The buddy of mine from whom I got the van had "borrowed" the headlight switch at some point in time....
The replacement he gave me was probably out of a Vega, but what the hell, GM is Gm in some things.....
After a bunch of experimentation I got most of the system working with a couple of puzzling exceptions....
the Parking lights work fine, when I pull the switch out the rest of the way, I get headlights but lose all of the body lights.
Brake lights, turn signals flashers and dash lights are all fine (no dimmer on the dashlights, but no reason to dim them anyway).
I know some of the older 50's stuff would kill the "city lights" (front markers) when the headlights came on... But I never noticed the taillights going out.
Did I seriously screw up?
Is there some snipped off wire in this mickey-moused tangle of electric spaghetti that I missed?

tonye66
06-27-2001, 09:54 PM
I do know that the front turn signals/marker lights shut off when the headlights are turned on. Does anyone know how to make the marker lights stay on when you turn on the headlights? I want them on because I like the markers and headlight combination because it looks better.

Tony

Vanner68
06-28-2001, 07:47 AM
It can be done, I've done it on other 60's GM stuff. Give me a day and I'll dig thru some old wiring diagrams.....

TurboVan
07-02-2001, 12:28 AM
Wouldn't it mess up the turn signal function? --- TV

Vanner68
07-02-2001, 03:41 PM
There is a terminal on the light switch that keeps the park lights on with the headlights, and another that kills them. They may be marked, I still haven't found my diagram and it may be gone for good. Use a light bulb to test which terminal is hot in both the park and headlights positions and that's where you hook up to.

TurboVan
07-05-2001, 11:57 PM
Can the park lites still be turned on separately? --- TV

Joe
07-06-2001, 12:47 PM
Turbovan: Yep. light switch: Position 1-off, position 2-all four marker lights on, position 3-headlights on and marker lights off.

I got the brake lights to work, and I jumpered one of the spade connections on the switch so that the dash lights come on. - (no dimmer adjustment) (jumpered may be too elegant a term- spade connector on one end, bare wire wrapped around the top of the "headlights on" spade connector plugged into the switch)

It has later occurred to me that I could get the rear running lights to work via same technique. Haven't done it yet.

I guess my question is "Are the marker lights SUPPOSED to go out when the headlights go on? "

tonye66
07-06-2001, 01:57 PM
Yes, they are.

69G20
07-06-2001, 09:42 PM
MY 69'S MARKER LIGHTS STAY ON . I'VE BEEN ABLE TO REPLACED THEESE SWITCHES WITH NO PROBLEM FROM MOST PARTS STORES.