PDA

View Full Version : roller rockers and 1:6 ratio rockers?'s

solid side 65
12-15-2001, 07:32 PM
Anyone have experience with roller rocker arms or 1.6 ratio rockers?

I am planning on replacing the valve stem seals as a winter project. Since I have to remove the rockers to get to the seals I was entertaining the thought of upgrading to roller rockers. I am presently leaning toward the Comp Cams steel magnum rockers in a true 1:52 ratio. I know the HP gains would probably be small and there maybe pushrod clearance problems with the 1:6 rockers.

Dose anyone here have any actual experience with either roller rocker arms or 1:6 ratio rockers? I am interested in input from anyone with first hand knowledge, no posers or magazine readers please. Thanks

Vlad Marco
12-15-2001, 10:40 PM
Well i have Comp cams pro magnum roller rockers in my 350 motor but my heads are totally worked iam using 1.5 ratio as opposed to the 1.6 ones , the 1.6 ones will give you a slightly higher valve lift than the 1.5 but you must remember that your camshaft plays an important role in all of this so before you dump $ 350.00 + dollars into the purchase of these rockers decide on whether you really need them, the only thing that will change if you make the crossover is slightly better valve action but not alot of horsepower change unless you are going with a higher lift cam , so consider a bigger cam if the rest of your motor is really tight , otherwise go with roller tip type rockers as they are better if your motor is built mostly stock.....Vlad .

TurboVan
12-16-2001, 04:16 AM
I've been running the 1.52 Comp rollers for over ten years (current engine) with no trouble at all. 50,000+ miles.
They are a tiny bit noisier. Really a benefit with higher lift cams. --- TV

solid side 65
12-16-2001, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys, that is just the kind of input I was hoping for! The additional lift from the 1:6 rockers is about .030". Originally I was thinking of going with the 1:6 since I was upgrading to the rollers anyway. I have been warned that there maybe pushrod to head interference, requiring elongating the pushrod slots in the heads. The piston to valve, seal to retainer clearances and coil binding shouldn't be a problem with my present collection of parts. I really didn't want to have to pull the heads since performance is fine and mechanically the engine is sound. I was just looking for a simple bolt on to replace parts I would be removing anyway. At this point the 1:52's may get the vote along with some fresh springs. Decisions decisions. The most interesting side benefit to these roller tip rockers is a reduction of oil temp by 10-20 degrees, confirmed by several different sources. Any thing that drops fluid temps in these hot box vans is a good thing IMO. Thanks again.

Vanner68
12-17-2001, 05:02 PM
Just curious- you guys running the roller rockers have any valve cover clearance problems? I had to do some slight grinding on a few of the rockers on my boss's 396 Chevy to clear the billet valve covers he's running. I'd like to go to these as well, but I don't want to run aftermarket valve covers.

TurboVan
12-17-2001, 09:28 PM
No problems (on small blocks anyway), as shown in the gallery, I'm running stock valve covers. --- TV

Vlad Marco
12-18-2001, 09:13 AM
Well it would depend on the lift that your camshaft has for instance my cam has a 507 lift on both intake and exhaust and stock valve covers do not clear my roller rockers but with a smaller lift this would not be such a problem....ahh the trials & tribulations of high performance motors !!....Vlad .