PDA

View Full Version : removing wheel cylinders

smiley
02-16-2001, 07:49 AM
I spent last night giving the '68 a much belated brake job. It's been sitting the past few months because I knew I needed to change both front leaking wheel cylinders. Here's the fun part. I got the brake hose and the upper cylinder bolt out, but the lower one will hardly let you get an open end wrench on it, much less a ratchet. Well, needles to say, it wouldn't budge and the bolt head magically metamorphisized from a pretty hexagonal shape, to a grotesquely round one.

Any suggestions before I get out there tonight with my air chisel and mutilate the back of the wheel hub? http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/mad.gif

painterchris
02-16-2001, 10:35 AM
Hey Smiley,
the first time I did my front wheel cylinders, there was so much crud on the wheels that I couldn't find the bolts that held the cylinders in place. You can remove the entire backing plate if you want. This is kind of a hassle, but if you remove the entire backing plate, you could probably put it in a vice and use vice grips to turn that bolt out. You have to remove the spindle (so you might as well re-grease the bearings too). Then, remove the 4 bolts that hold the backing plate to the suspension. Disconnect the brake line, and pull off the plate. This can be a hassle, but at least you can see what you're doing.
Good Luck,
Andy.

smiley
02-19-2001, 02:23 PM
Hey Andy,

Thanks a bunch for setting me straight. It took only a few minutes to remove the hub (gave me a chance to replace that broken stud too!) and I got the plate off pretty quick. I was able to use the regular open end wrench on that bolt too. Cleaned everything up while I was at it. Only took about 20 minutes per side. I spent twice that time trying different tools on that bolt the night before!

Thanks again!

painterchris
02-19-2001, 10:17 PM
No problem. I had to take the front wheels on my 65 (R.I.P.) completely apart just so I could find the wheel cylinder mounting bolts. They were buried under a half inch of greasy crud. I'm just glad that my frustration was able to benefit someone else.

Andy.