PDA

View Full Version : gas tank straps

bellvan
08-14-2001, 07:59 PM
anyone out thare had problems with thare gas tank straps rusting out and breaking?i did about 2 years ago,i was riding around in the woods and my van ran out of gas......than i found out why about half a mile where i had been (ha ha)since than ive held it up with a comealong.ive noticed at the junkyards all the vans seemed to have the same problem(either held on by a chain...ect) or broke.
the other day i found a guy who said he had a set.they look the same but the metal seems mighty thin for my 30 gallon tank.anyone got any input on this?ive had lots of old cars,but never realy ran into this problem

tonye66
08-14-2001, 11:07 PM
Think thats bad, My uncle's old Catalina had gaffers tape holding it up.

gotavan
08-15-2001, 05:25 PM
Ya I've had this problem. The original straps are very thin, add a little rust and your van lays an egg. I replace my tank holders with stainless steel, polished even. I just shear a piece same width as old straps and duplicate the ends with a hammer and vise. Drill a hole and use the old J-hook threaded fastener. I had a friend who sold parts at the Carlisle and Hershey swapmeets, he had a 70's Dodge van pulling a trailer his tank dropped on the turnpike and got caught under the trailer burnt his van to a crisp. He wasn't hurt but his cast iron antique toys were busted up from the heat. Dan

------------------
gotavan

Yeggster
08-16-2001, 02:32 PM
Gotavan's stainless teel ones sound great.

I got a brand new pair made for a chrysler minivan.

The bolt end is perfect but the other ends ahs to be cut shorter and folded over like the originals.

Easy job......

Yeggster

Vanner68
08-16-2001, 09:08 PM
If you get a chimney strap kit for a TV antenna with the stainless straps, you'll have the correct width, and just have to form then ends and drill a hole in each. Punching the hole is better, but not everyone has acces to a steel hole punch kit. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif

PetesVan
08-20-2001, 11:41 PM
Mine broke, so I took it to a sheet metal shop that I deal with for work and the guy made me stainless ones for a case of beer, then he shared the beer with me while we shot the ****!!

bellvan
08-21-2001, 07:47 PM
yea,thats how the beer trades usualy work out
(ha ha) but thats why thare so great.