PDA

View Full Version : disposing of a van

65dream
03-07-2002, 05:31 PM
alright heres my situation , i need stock seats badly , there is this van for sale in a tow yard doesnt run wants 200 for it it has the seats i need and a few other things but to get my moneys worth i would probably take doors off and odds and ends .my question is what is the best way to get rid of a van missing doors ,seats and other things, i would get this van towed to my work but after i take things off of iti need to get it taken away . one place called pick and pull said they would take it but would charge me 50.00 or more depending on what is on the van, also do i have to register it if i am only going to have it for a week or so? I WISH I COULD KEEP THE VAN LONGER BUT ITS NOT POSSIBLE IN MY SITUATION.OOPS had the caps on.thankls alot sorry for rambling. from frank

Fluxus
03-07-2002, 05:42 PM
If it is in good condition and If you want to cut off the front, from the windshield down, i.e. light bezels, grill etc, and If you want to ship such a thing, well, then I might be able to help out.

65dream
03-07-2002, 05:49 PM
i dont really know how to do that kind of stuff i am not mechanical at all or good with power tools i just love these vans and my boss i being coll about me keeping it here until the landlord complains, i havent bought this van yet i just was trying to figure out what to do with it whebn im done sorry i cant help you with the grill ,frank

tomschaner
03-07-2002, 06:17 PM
once you total strip the van haul it to you local metal recycler and they will take it.the last van i took to reynolds recycling i got around $10 for it.borrow a friends car trailer.

65dream
03-07-2002, 07:31 PM
tomschaner, will they take it with mechanical parts left on or did you mean just a shell thanks from frank

Dan Wilson
03-07-2002, 09:13 PM
Hey Frank, when do you plan to buy this heap?
I can help you the 30th or 31st. Here's what you do. Consider the wasted time and effort scrounging in wrecking yards with mean dogs and meaner owners looking for an early. Not too many huh? When ya find one for $200+ a $50 disposal fee, and it has everything you need and more, you buy it! Then, you take every friggen part you can wrench off of that sucker and sell at a swapmeet. You would be amazed at how many people can look at a part differently from you and say:"hey, I could use that!" Make sure when you get rid of it, it doesn't have any fluids, but since you're
getting it from a wrecker, that shouldn't be a problem. I will help and buy stuff from ya,
that's what it's all about! Dan

65dream
03-07-2002, 11:37 PM
alright you sold me dan on the idea i knew i should just need a little pushing i guess my boss says he would help me out geting it to our work after i look around for disposal places i pick it up hopefully it will be only 50 bucks ,let me know when you get back in town and i will get ahold of you then thanks, frank

65dream
03-08-2002, 12:45 AM
hey dan what options have you heard of for disposal ,are they the same that i mentioned, thanks again, frank

Dan Wilson
03-08-2002, 01:55 AM
Hi Frank,

Burning the midnight oil to get ready for camping, but thought I would check in. I love this site! If you think the wrecker is feeding you a line to make a few bucks, call a couple of more to find out there policy. Tell them your intentions. It saves them money if you do all the parting you know. All they do is scrap it for cash. You can also call the city to make sure. If you buy it from a wrecker, they probably won't have title, so if you part it and keep it off the street, you should be fine. I bought a '56 F-100 for the motor once. I parted it out in a week and they hauled it off for $25.00. After selling the rest at a swap, it was like getting an engine for free! I will be back March 20th. Good luck! Dan

tomschaner
03-09-2002, 05:22 PM
when i strip a van their ain't nothing but the shell left.took front and rear suspension,etc.the best bet is to take as much as you can.you never know when you or someone else will be in need of a part.let's face it parts vans a few and far between.look in your yellow pages for a local metal recycler even if it only gets you a couple of dollars your better off than paying to dump whats left.check into it.plus the more you strip off of her the less likely that they will even ask for a title.

tomschaner
03-09-2002, 05:22 PM
when i strip a van their ain't nothing but the shell left.took front and rear suspension,etc.the best bet is to take as much as you can.you never know when you or someone else will be in need of a part.let's face it parts vans a few and far between.look in your yellow pages for a local metal recycler even if it only gets you a couple of dollars your better off than paying to dump whats left.check into it.plus the more you strip off of her the less likely that they will even ask for a title.