PDA

View Full Version : gas tank blues.....

pat69chevan
10-30-2000, 08:13 AM
i just wanted to share with you guys and gals the experience i had with my gas tank. if you are lazy and want to pay out the wazoo to have your tank relined, go ahead, but i did mine on my own. EASTWOOD catalog has a kit that works great and is easy to do, if you tank is starting rust inside, catch it before you pay the price of replacing a destroyed carb. good luck

pat

smiley
10-30-2000, 10:12 AM
I too have that Eastwood catalog and have seen the same kit. I've been toying with the idea of getting the Eastwood kit to see if it works. I've heard horror stories of other kits though, so I'm a bit leary. Some other kits will actually peel off in one big piece over time, or sometimes deteriorate and get passed on to your engine.

The Eastwood kit sounds like a good one, but be warned of the cheap ones.

pat69chevan
10-31-2000, 12:05 PM
hey smiley, a buddy of mine used a quart of POR 15 gas tank liner on his old truck, and the stuff hardened like steel, smooth as glass. it seems that a lot of people who use these kits dont prepare the tank properly, this stuff wont stick to rust properly, i like the eastwood kit, but if were to buy again, i would probably buy the POR15.

thanks

pat

68chevyboy
11-04-2000, 06:16 PM
i had the same problem, mine was also smashed where it had been hit in the rear, so what did i do??? i made my own stainless steel gas tank. purdy... van on.