PDA

View Full Version : front end noises

65dream
01-03-2002, 12:05 PM
a couple of questions first i know my kingpins have needed to be replaced, so is there any danger until i replace them ? one of the reasons i ask is for a couple weeks when i hit 35 to 40 mph i feel and hear kind of a pop sound right where my left foot sit also this morning the whole drive to work there are now erie creeking sounds i have no idea what this might be just looking for some idea what this is and am i in danger i thought i heasrd eventually your wheel could fly off? is this true or crazy talk thanks alot hope this all made sense i kind of rambled on from frank p.s. ahighdiver apologies for not keeping in touch been trying to buy a house we got it and other things but i wilkl definately get in touch with you by the end of this weekend or early next week .

smiley
01-03-2002, 01:07 PM
I get those noises too and my kingpins are fine. The driver side front leaf spring mounts are right under your left foot. Once the bushings have worn out, the play in the shackle will cause thuds, squeeks, grinds, and all sorts of noises. Once the shackle bolt gets enough of that abuse, it can break. I've heard that a shackle bolt under a load with a badly worn bushing can shear.

Worn kingpins will result in improper tire wear and prevent tire shops from giving you an alignment. I guess one could break, but I haven't yet heard of it happening.

BZ
01-03-2002, 01:53 PM
Another thing to check is your front shocks, I had a loose passenger side shock, found that the bottom bolt was smaller than the top and was moving around, replaced shocks with new ones made a big difference in the ride.
BZ

ahighdiver
01-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Frank;
King Pins will not break. However if they are too sloppy you could veer out of control on a groove or uneven road surface. The popping is the bolt slipping odd what is left of the shackle bushing. And the sqeeking is the water in the bushing. Mine just started it after the rains started. I ordered all new bushings at NAPA and they will cost about sixty bucks total. I'll post the numbers as soon as I pick them up.
Call me. I'm almost finished packing my shop and the ship sails for Hawaii on the 27th.
HD.

painterchris
01-03-2002, 06:23 PM
I had a problem with my 65 where I heard a lot of creaking sounds all the time and I would hear a popping noise occasionally (usually when turning). It turned out that I had broken one of the leaves in the leaf spring on the drivers side. I doubt this is your problem, but you may want to check it.
Andy.

TurboVan
01-03-2002, 10:53 PM
It could also be the inner wheel bearing jumping up and down on a worn spindle. --- TV

drew87
01-05-2002, 06:51 PM
I had that same problem, loud pinging noises just under my left foot. It worried me a great deal, checked wheel bearings, and spindles, all was fine. then just as quickly as the pinging started it stopped. If it startes again I'll check the leaf springs