PDA

View Full Version : possessed spedo !!!

firefyter
10-29-2001, 05:19 PM
my speedomoter in my 67 has been going into fits of making a grinding noise and sending the needle at about where 130 to 170 would be. and odomoter just vibrates wildly. it comes and goes without any similarities in times it happens. is it my cable? gear inside tranny? i think its the houseing on the rear of my speedo. any help would be great!!!-mike

Vanner68
10-29-2001, 06:29 PM
Sounds like the cable. Disconnect it at the speedo and spray some lube in there. Or if you're ambitious, remove the cable from the sheath and clean and lube it.

64vanatic
10-29-2001, 09:27 PM
Mike,

If you take the cable off to lube it, an easy way to check to check it is by chucking an electric drill (on low speed) to it and run it to check for the noise before reinstalling. Hope this helps?

painterchris
10-29-2001, 10:31 PM
MY van had the same problem. The noise is REALLY LOUD, right? It's your speedometer that's bad, not the cable. I took mine apart to check it out. I'm pretty sure that the problem is caused by a bad bearing or broken spring in the speedo. Unfortunately, the speedo unit really doesn't come apart, so the only way to "fix" it is to replace your speedometer with a non-screechy one. Mine would always start screeching at about 35 MPH, which meant it made a terrible racket almost all the time. I replaced it with a Corvan speedometer. It no longer screeches, but the speedometer isn't accurate either. $30 down the drain.
Good Luck,
Andy.

TurboVan
10-30-2001, 10:17 PM
Didn't Corvans (and Corvairs) use the same gauge panel and glove box door as earlies?
The best stuff for speedo cables is TriFlow (with Teflon).
Really shuts `em up fast.
I don't know about that other problem, tho...just glad I don't have it! --- TV

[This message has been edited by TurboVan (edited October 30, 2001).]

MadElf
10-31-2001, 04:24 PM
Don't feel bad about the corvan guage not reading right. I've tried two different original equipment type speedometers and they both read wrong. I think it's my transmission.
Interestingly...I have been in contact with Bowtie Overdrives about their 700r4 trans & they have an option you can get where you tell them your rear gear ratio & tire size and they set the new trans speedometer gear up to correct for an accurate reading.

HippieVanDave
11-02-2001, 10:36 PM
Hey FyrFytr-- my van was originally purchased by the Barberton, Oh fire dept.! Heck of a fire/rescue vehicle, I'd say! My experience says speedo head also. I'm pretty sure early (62-65) ChevyII's used the same head, also. You probabaly should lube the cable when changing the head anyway, it's just a good idea. Good luck
David