• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurboVan
    VCVC Member
    • Dec 2000

Twin turbo 292?

According to my calculations, a 292, which is 4785cc's, would be just the right size to use two Volvo 240/760 turbos. They are available cheap from junkyards, eBay, etc.
    Actually the 240 turbos are bigger, they would have a little lag but more top-end.
    The smaller 760 turbos would have a quicker spoolup, and would flatten out sooner, but would be a better choice for a stock six for street use, because hi boost + hi RPM = scrap metal!

TV
    Keep one foot in the gutter, one fist in the gold...sigpic

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...meE_Jf-hgJU2mG

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfPJ3xmwjY

• dieselvan
    Certifiable Vanatic
    • Jan 2003

I have a Volvo turbo, but it's off a 740. It seems to be in good shape with very little radial or axial play of the shaft.

Comment

• TurboVan
      VCVC Member
      • Dec 2000

I think that would be the smaller one, the same as on the 760, the Mitsubishi TD05.
      Actually, two of those would probably work well on a 250, especially if it was punched out a little.
      The Garrett T3's, like on the older 240's, would be good for the 292.

TV

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials

Comment

• Bullet
        Certifiable Vanatic
        • Oct 2002

When 1000 hp can be had with 1 turbo, do you really need 2? http://www.customdesignperformance.com/leo/leo.html
        Hey ya\'ll!, watch this!

Comment

• Skidmark
          VCVC Member
          • Aug 2002

Leo Santucci wrote the book. I know, I have a copy.

Comment

• TurboVan
            VCVC Member
            • Dec 2000

The whole point is to keep the cost to a minimum by using correctly sized junkyard turbos, and a relatively stock engine.
            His is obviously full race, with a big, expensive turbo, intercooler, etc.
            Don't think that I'm not drooling over it, tho...

TV

Comment

• lvjjj
              VCVC Member
              • Sep 2007

Holy freaking cow! I'm running a 292 in my early and I used to have a '53 Studebaker lowboy (and it was green until I rattled canned it orange. Somebody trying to tell me something?!

The Stude was the best handling car I ever had, with overdrive it would cruise thru the desert at 120 mph all day.
              LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
              1965, 292, TH350
              purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Comment

• Optik
                VCVC Member
                • Jul 2003

i have a Pontiac OHC inline 6 in my storage unit waiting for a project, going to go with twin turbo's on that, as it has factory dual exhaust manifolds adn factory 4bbl intake. thats a great tip on the volvo turbo's, anytime we can adapt j/y parts (rather than just throwing money at something) its a good thing.
                TV, thanks for the info, i'm sure i'll be putting it to use.
                -tim
                =============================================
                Tim Henderson
                Cincinnati, OH
                1965 Chevy Sportvan "Good Twin"
                1965 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe "Evil Twin"

Comment

• Bullet
                  Certifiable Vanatic
                  • Oct 2002

If you look, you can find a link on the OHC forum (I did have it but can't find it now) to the shop that is building a 4 valve crossflow head using two Quad-4 heads in a similar fashion as the V-8 heads on Leo's Studebaker. They are talking about some big HP numbers too. The OHC motor was more happy in the upper rpm's than the Chev 6. It is really another testament to John Delorean and his ahead of it's time thinking. Google the Pontiac Banshee he had built in '64, it looks a lot like a '69 Vette, he desperately wanted a 2 seater for PMD but the big boys at Chevy would have none of that, they wanted no competiton for the Vette. They categorically denied him approvals for the Banshee or anything similar so he "back door'ed" the '64 GTO. It was offered as an option package in '64 and as an option, didn't require corporate approval. He blind sided them and got in a lot of hot water, it was only a couple of years later when the GTO and other "muscle cars" were so hot and selling the show rooms dry they finally gave him a little credit albeit grudgingly. His passion for a two seater, particularly a stainless steel one, never abated and many years later, the Delorean was built, unfortunately, by this time, his forward thinking had been passed by and his car just didn't appeal to the masses. Anyway, I guess I'm done with the history lesson. I like your stuff TV, the home engineering to make things better and go faster is exactly what built the aftermarket parts industry and pretty much every kind of automobile racing. I have always been a salvage yard prowler, cataloging things back in my head that I've seen, stockpiling cool items, at least cool to me. Anyone can stand pack and peel off hundred dollar bills and make something faster, but they will never really know the feeling of accomplishment when you build something unique and fast with your own two hands and the gray matter between your ears. Rock on.
                  Hey ya\'ll!, watch this!

Comment

• kookykrispy
                    VCVC Member
                    • Oct 2002

Optik,

I would love to see a pontiac OHC in an early van... especially turbocharged!! That would be totally badass.

My concern would be that I don't think there is enough room to run a 4bbl off to the side of the 6 cyl in a first gen doghouse without modifications. But that issue is easily overcome by installing a 2nd gen doghouse... you could take advantage of the increased room up front to install a bigger radiator along with an intercooler for the turbo(s) and use a blow-though style carb on the sprint intake.

64' wikivan 292 tripower/4 speed/2.56 posi
                    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
                    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project.. soon to be 400SBC/200r/3.73 posi

Originally posted by Vanner68
                    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Comment

• Optik
                      VCVC Member
                      • Jul 2003

while i really like the thought of an OHC pontiac in the van, that motor is reserved for my 23 t-bucket project. i am going to set it up with the twin turbos and propane injection with a bit of traditional flavor.
                      should be a fun project, its just a year or two in the future.
                      but maybe it'll go in the van. who knows.
                      -tim
                      Tim Henderson
                      Cincinnati, OH

Comment

• lvjjj
                        VCVC Member
                        • Sep 2007

kookykrispy, you might look at www.cliffordperformance.com, they have 4 bbl manifolds that set the carb in toward the engine, so I think side clearances are about the same as a 2 bbl.
                        LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
                        1965, 292, TH350
                        purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Comment

• Optik
                          VCVC Member
                          • Jul 2003

there was a former member here who tried the clifford mani and said that its too big, still hits the 1st gen doghouse.

i'm running 2 dueces on an offy on mine and its mega tight. the carbs sit less than a 1/4" from the doghouse....

i once saw pics of an install of a 300 ford with a 4bbl in an econoline, and where the carb stuck out, they cut a vertical section completely out of the side of the doghouse, and then welded in half of a small oil drum to make a semi-circular section in the side to give plenty of clearance to the carb. real trick looking and the ribs in the drum gave it added strength.

i've often looked at those drums and thought that two quarter sections would be plenty big enough to serve as doghouse kick-outs for putting a v-8 into a 1st gen doghouse. when cutting them out i thought it would even be easy to also cut it with some tabs or enough metal to make a flange to bolt them in....

-tim
                          Tim Henderson
                          Cincinnati, OH

Comment

• lvjjj
                            VCVC Member
                            • Sep 2007

I'm running a 2 bbl weber on the stock manifold and there is plenty of side room. The problem was height. Since I had to use a clifford adaptor between the carb and manifold, my K&N air cleaner hit the dog house cover. That's when I reversed the cover and put the tall end up front. Works better for air flow in and out of the engine compartment too. Height was also a problem as the 292 engine is taller than the 230's.

[This message has been edited by LVJJJ (edited January 31, 2008).]
                            LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
                            1965, 292, TH350
                            purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Comment

• Bullet
                              Certifiable Vanatic
                              • Oct 2002

I'm putting an Offy on mine, I made an adapter for a large base Rochester 2 bbl 390 cfm. The extended heat passage on the bottom of the intake hit the 292 bus manifold though so I had to do a little clearancing. It should fit on a stock exhaust manifold with no problems. A bunch of the cold air intake set-ups are 3" I.D. so I'm looking to retrofit one on the carb and run a pipe over the valve cover and down low so as to pick up some cool air. I think the Pontiac G6 may work but I havent found one to take measurements from.
                              Hey ya\'ll!, watch this!

Comment

Working...
                              X