PDA

View Full Version : need info

stonedmonk
07-02-2001, 12:48 AM
hi all! I need to know more about the different styles of 1964-70 chevy vans.whats the shortest wheelbase?what are the ones w/no windows called?how much of a pain is it to go from 6-cyl to 8-cyl?is it possible to swap in a 700r4?what are some of the differences in the model years?and so on and so forth...thanks! p.s.sorry to express my ignorance,but all i know before i found you guys was A:that i loved how these vans looked B:that i always wanted the mystery machine from scooby doo.

[This message has been edited by stonedmonk (edited July 02, 2001).]

Vanner68
07-02-2001, 03:37 PM
Well, there are two wheelbases, 90" and 108".The ones without windows are ChevyVans, or Handi-Vans for GMC, with windows is SportVan and Handi-Bus.67-70 is easier to drop in a V8 as they were available from the factory, but it still is a bit of work. A 700-R4 will fit, but a custom fabbed rear crossmember is required. 64-66 were the ones with flat windshields and headlights up high, 67 had curved glass, low headlights and no side reflectors, 68-69 had reflectors, and in 70 they put lights in them. Poke around in the archived discussions, there's a wealth of information in there!

stonedmonk
07-02-2001, 04:46 PM
Hey!Thanks...yeah I have already absorbed most of what you guys have posted.I like em short w/no windows so 90 or 108 chevyvans,right?But I like the doors on the side,no windows in them.definately wanna swap in a 5.7 EFI...custom crossmember for the 700r4?..no sweat..I know a guy who could weld a baked potato to the side of your head,hes that good.which is easier to replace,flat windshield or curved?Where can I score some pictures of custom interiors for these vans?Need a jump start on my creative juices...wanna live in the van,be a gypsy an all that.What about disc brake conversions?anybody done that?how about a switch from leaf- to coil-springs?definately improve the ride.A/C?do any of them have it?man, I know I am just a bundle of questions...thanks for your patience

bellvan
07-03-2001, 12:33 AM
somewhere i got a 70` sales catalog for my van.i remember that you could order a/c but it was a roof mounted setup like on a camper.
that would be cool on a restoration project,but probly bulky and odd looking on a trick van
good luck
Rusty

tonye66
07-03-2001, 02:45 PM
According to my options manual, one could order A/C in their van. It was a bulky and ugly looking unit that ran along side with the heater. The other options that were optional were the windshield sprayer, the 4 way flashers, a rooftop camper, a childs bed, several camper setups, and more. I only have the 4 way flashers and windshield washer as options on my van. It seems funny to me, that options available then are standard today. See how far we've come?

Tony

stonedmonk
07-03-2001, 03:34 PM
Yeah,that is kinda funny.I have a question for you,Tony.Is the van for sale,or do you deep down wanna keep it?I have just put my '89 caddy up for sale,and I plan to take all that money and buy a van and move into it,mainly cuz the rent is cheap.But that makes me think that I should make sure I buy one with as little rust as possible,since it would be my home until I could find(read:save up for)somewhere else to be.I am the best man in a wedding on Aug. 4,and ,while I was honered to be chosen,its gonna cost me all the money I was saving for a place.The place I am living now runs out on the 1st of Aug.,so my options were kinda limited.When I tell my friends what my "plan" is, they tell me" only losers live in vans,what kinda girls do ya think you'll get livin in a van",etc,etc.SCREW THEM!!I have always done what I wanted,when I wanted,and if it made my life hell,so be it.I am rambling,so I'll get to the point:You only live once.If you are not living your dreams,your just taking up space till you die.If you really want to keep the van,I'll find another one.Just DO NOT let go of a dream because of pressure from your father,the city,your girlfriend,your wife,whoever.Find a way,man.There IS a way for it to happen,as long as you dont give up. stonedmonk

Vanner68
07-03-2001, 05:05 PM
They'll be plenty of time for that, young man, When you're living in a VAN down by the RIVER!!!

Chris Farley
SNL Heaven

stonedmonk
07-03-2001, 05:21 PM
so be it! gosh i really miss chris

farley...he was great
and I wouldnt live down by the river,we've got mosquitos as big as crows here in minnesota!Besides,I can't seem to put down roots anywhere,anyhow.Might as well prepare for the inevitable move by living in something with wheels on it. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by stonedmonk (edited July 03, 2001).]

tonye66
07-04-2001, 05:52 PM
The Van is for sale. I had it running yesterday enough to get it off the block. How much are you asking for the Caddy? Send me an email telling about it, mainly its condition. I might consider it in my search for a new car.

Tony