PDA

View Full Version : van door alignment

vannman67
11-26-2000, 12:04 AM
Here's a question that I'm sure will get many different points of view. Anyway, I've rebuilt all my door hinges and had the doors welded where the sheet metal has cracked from years of use. So when I went to do a preliminary alignment, the gap between the back doors is so wide you can almost stick your head through it. Well it's not really that bad, but I need answers on how to adjust the gaps on the sides of the doors so the middle gap is within a reasonable tolerance. I've come up with a couple solutions, either shims, and I'm not sure how well that will work, or have the hinges bent slightly to bring the doors closer together in the middle. Please let me know what you guys think.

Vanner68
11-26-2000, 10:26 AM
The shim idea sounds best, as those hinges are pretty tough to bend! Besides, if the shims don't work, you haven't destroyed anything.

sambowie
11-26-2000, 12:33 PM
Shims definetly,I used a paint stirrer stick
and cut little 2 inch peices.

pat69chevan
11-27-2000, 07:44 AM
SHIMS WORK WELL, ON THE 67 108 I USE TO HAVE, THE DOORS HAD TO BE DARN NEAR CLOSED WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER, AFTER I REMOVED THEM, REINSTALLED THEM, THERE WAS A HUGE GAP ON MY BACK DOORS, SO I USED CUT BRASS WASHERS IN THE SHAPE OF A U. IT WORKED GREAT!! I LUCKED OUT ON MY 69 108, THE SIDE AND BACK DOORS CLOSE PRETTY SMOOTHLY, BUT YOU NEED A JACK TO CLOSE THE FRONTS.

PAT

Vanner68
11-27-2000, 06:10 PM
Gee, guess I'm lucky with my 68- only had to adjust latch out to make door fit flush. Of course, mine was only 11 yrs old when I got it. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/tongue.gif

AJAX
11-28-2000, 08:53 PM
YOUR BEST TO USE A METAL SHIM AS OPPOSED TO A WOODEN ONE. A FAR MORE PERMANENT FIX ON A PARTS WITH SO MUCH MOVEMENT.