PDA

View Full Version : shifter

SurfCat
04-08-2002, 11:04 AM
hey guys,
i have a 3 on the tree that has been acting up. when in first it just pops outta gear into the "phantom zone" makinging it hard to find second gear. i am gettin' used to it an' all but i was wondering what may be the cause? the linkage may be or the transmission? any ideas
SurfCat

painterchris
04-08-2002, 07:47 PM
You're problem could be either the tranny or the shifter, but my bet is that it's the shifter and linkage. I have a solidly rebuilt 3-spd in my 64 and I still have to be careful not to end up in that dead zone where the shifter is out of first, but the tranny is not.

To check it, crawl under the van and disconnect the linkage. Then, work the shift levers on the side of the tranny by hand. If you feel the tranny engage firml into each gear, then the problem is the linkage/shifter. BE SURE TO BLOCK THE WHEELS OF YOUR VAN BEFORE MESSING AROUND WITH THE TRANNY!

I think some of the slop in my van is located in the column and some of it is in the linkage. Specifically, I think there is a lot of slop in the tubular bar that spans the space between the tranny and the frame, which could cause a lot of this trouble. Another trouble spot is the shifter rod that runs parallel to the column, down thru the floor. I want to rebuild my entire steering column, but I have no idea how to get the bottom of the shifter apart.

Later,
Andy.

TurboVan
04-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Earlier Smiley (I think) was talking about some rubber bushings that go bad, and the problems they cause in shifting. They could be the problem.
TV

painterchris
04-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Yeah, those bushings go bad and leave a lot of slop in the system. They are located at the rear of the long horizontal shifter rods and they fit thru holes in the tranny shift levers. There are also bushings at the front of the horizontal shift rods, but they rarely go bad. Neither of these things is my problem however.

LAter,
Andy.

SurfCat
04-09-2002, 09:19 AM
thanks guys,
i think it may be those bushings youre talkin' about turbo. the traning seems to be fine to me. the linkage is just real sloppy. does anyone know where to get the bushings? anyone have a part number for 'em?
thanks again,
SurfCat