PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone added tilt-out rear windows?

watchpit
06-27-2001, 05:16 PM
It occured to me that it sure would be nice to create some air flow on these hot summer days! Tilt-out windows would be nice in the rear doors. Or how about some crank-open,
camper-style Jalousie windows...hmmmmmmm...
The latter would probably be an easier
install provided they were a correct size.
Any ideas? It could make a cool van cooler!
Brett

------------------

sambowie
06-27-2001, 05:27 PM
If you can locate a 65-70 sportvan youll probably be able snag a pair from the side
doors, I dont know if they were on the rear doors.

tonye66
06-27-2001, 09:49 PM
I had an idea from the chrysler minivans, I wanted to use the power tilt out window units that will replace the old non locking levers that never stay open while driving.

Tony

Vanner68
06-28-2001, 07:50 AM
In my 68 I put tip outs from a 74 Ford van, had to add sheetmetal at top for hinge, but they worked ok. Around here the Sportvan glass is like Gold. Expensive and hard to find.

Vanner68
06-28-2001, 07:51 AM
By the way, if you don't mind cutting holes in your roof, a couple of sunroofs will get good airflow thru the van.

Warlock
06-28-2001, 03:47 PM
You can get pop out windows for your rear doors but I have to tell you from experience, if you ride with the windows open, you will pick up all kinds of road dirt. I have pop out windows in my 69 and the only time that i open them is when I'm sitting still. By the way, I do have an extra pair because they are getting harder and harder to find.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Warlock (edited June 28, 2001).]

pat69chevan
06-28-2001, 07:54 PM
i plan on putting tilt out windows on my van, my exhaust dumps out the side of my van instead of the back, so i dont think that i will have to worry about fumes in the vehicle.hey warlock, i agree with you about road dirt, i got that problem in my s-10 sliding window, it would be cool if you could make a type of screen filter to fit in the window when it is open?

later

pat

gotavan
07-02-2001, 07:35 PM
I think they never put open up windows on the back because of the fume thing. We used to pull the gasket lock out and pop out our back windows on hot trips. We had our own fumes to get rid of and it was fun hanging out the back windows just like dogs. They didn't have super soakers back then, but we had a pump up fire exstingusher to hose the van behind. That reminds me of a game we played on each other DEPTH CHARGE done by dropping fireworks out the windows so that they go off under the van behind you. Of course some body always threw out the match and dropped the cracker in the van BLAM! yikes its a wonder we never got hurt. Kids don't try this stuff we were professional van freaks highly trained. Hey back to those rear windows,I just took a trip to Idaho (To visit the out-laws) and saw a van in the local junkyard that had a pair of those crank out latice windows in the back doors I thought they looked hokey. They were in a 67 and were cut into a pair of solid rear doors. It was in Payette ID if anybody is near there. Dan

------------------
gotavan

Barky
07-16-2001, 12:26 PM
Fellows.... My 67 Handibus Custom has factory opening rear door windows...regards

vannman67
07-16-2001, 09:15 PM
Same same for my 67 Sportvan http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif