PDA

View Full Version : need steering column help

painterchris
03-06-2001, 09:40 PM
Hey all,
I installed a 67 steering column in my 64 a few months ago. Problem is, the shifter arms are positioned differently on the new column, which means that in first and 3rd gears, the shifter handle is in the way, over my knee. I want to do something to adjust this, but I can't figure out how to get it apart. I'm guessing that the shifter assembly is pressed together? has anyone here ever torn one of these apart? I just want to know if it's possible to work on the shifter assembly or not. Any advice?
Later,
Andy.

vannman67
03-07-2001, 07:05 PM
I just tore my 67 steering column apart to remove the column shifting mechanism. The steering wheel needs to be completely removed, along with the turn signal cam. The entire column and shifter rod can be lifted off the steering box, leaving the steering rod exposed. On the lever you have to remove the pin holding the lever into the rod and slide the lever out. You should then be able to remove the rest of the mechanism from the steering wheel housing. Hope this helps. Vannman

painterchris
03-07-2001, 09:09 PM
No...What I really need to know is this: once the shifter assembly has been removed from the van, how do you get the bottom of the shifter assembly apart? It has two little linkage arms, one on each side of a housing that bolts to the steering box. I think this part is pressed together. I would like to pull it apart and reposition those linkage arms.
Later,
Andy.