PDA

View Full Version : changing fuse box??

gorral
12-16-2000, 04:20 PM
Can anyone tell me if you can change the fuse box over to use the newer type fuses? If so HOW PLEASE???

george - - - 68 GMC HandiBus Custom

teeble@21stcomm.com

solid side 65
12-16-2000, 05:44 PM
I have converted to an ATC fuse panel; thereís a pic of the panel in the 65 gallery, think Skippy peanut butter. I bought the components separately as opposed to a kit to reduce the costs and I have done a bit of wiring in the past. I sourced the parts from Francis, Enos and the local electronics stores. Painless also makes a good product in my opinion. You will probably also want to have a wiring diagram of your present layout handy for reference. I drew it all out before starting to reduce down time. Good luck.

Has anyone else noticed that the 67-70ís seem to have a greater problem than the 64-66ís with fuse panel corrosion problems from the back side due to water leaks?

painterchris
12-16-2000, 06:54 PM
I put the Painless Performance Wiring 12 circuit fusebox in my 64. I have had quite a bit of experience with electrical and electronic work and I found Painless's instructions rather confusing. They do not give much info on how to hook it up, the wiring schematic they included with the kit was incomplete and, of course, it didn't show the parts that I had trouble with. Last, but definitely not least, their "customer service" line is WORTHLESS. The guy I talked to knew NOTHING about wiring AT ALL! So, while I am happy with the final result, I can't recommend their products to a novice electrician.
Later,
Andy.

vannman67
01-06-2001, 12:21 AM
Hey all,

Check out these link for another option on fuse panels. These companies seem to have their $*#& together and from the looks of their websites, offer a quality product. www.calrewire.com (http://www.calrewire.com) www.centechwire.com (http://www.centechwire.com)
Just my .02 worth.

Vannman

[This message has been edited by vannman67 (edited January 06, 2001).]