PDA

View Full Version : interior paneling

65dream
09-25-2001, 06:39 PM
i am going to put up some inexspensive paneling on the sides of my van how do you deal with the curve at the back of the van . thanks alot , frank

sambowie
09-25-2001, 07:06 PM
you could use a utility knife and score the back of the lines in the paneling so it can flex, I dont know I just thought of it.

Vanner68
09-25-2001, 07:14 PM
Or you could box it off and stick your speakers in there.

TurboVan
09-26-2001, 12:00 AM
What I used to have (when I used to have an interior) was flat panels in each back corner with speakers, giving the interior a kind of "coffin" shape. (Ooo-ooh that smell, can't ya smell that smell...) --- TV

Vanner68
09-26-2001, 07:41 PM
In my 69 I cheated and put a wood strip at the end of the wall and another next to the door and stapled carpeting around the curve.

vanogre
09-30-2001, 07:45 PM
my 69 c90 is now sporting a flip top bar that hides a kicker box rather cleanly. the bottom of the bar hides the amp and eventually a cd changer. i used 2x4's and 1.25 plywood. in the curves i took an old school customising trick and very patiently
made stencils i used poster board but would really recomend using something a little more rigid. .250 plywood or better yet .125.
anything that is easily worked but will maintain its shape. this trick works really well for fabing interior panels as well.

vannman67
09-30-2001, 10:27 PM
I was going to suggest trying something called luann (no it's not Gomers girl from the Andy Griffith show). Luann is a thin, flexible type of plywood paneling that is used in situations like this. I have used 1/8" hardboard but it warps easily, is heavy, and stains. The luann is light, flexible and thinner that 1/8". It should make the curve nicely, and you can spray glue your upholstered fabric right to it.

Vannman

pat69chevan
10-01-2001, 08:05 AM
hey 65dream, vanman67 has the right idea about how to install interior panels, and i can add a little info to this. what i did to my 67 was removed the old panels and used them as stencils to create the new panels. the trick that i came up with was that since luann board 1/4" thick is wood that will absorb moisture, swell, and look like crap after a while. so what i did was cut out my straight panels and before i covered them with vinyl, i sprayed them with rustoleum woodsaver paint. trust me, i tested this stuff on a piece of 2x4, left it out in my backyard for at least two years, and it showed no signs of rot. to make my corner panels curved, i formed them to fit, what i mean is that luann board is very flexible and will give more and more over a period of time of stress. i plan on making new panels sometime next year, if i make any this fall, i will take pics and send them to whoever wants them to look at for ideas.

later

pat

TurboVan
10-02-2001, 10:43 PM
Stencils? You mean templates, right?
I'm gonna need to make headliners for both the Turbo and the Taco, so I'll have a way to insulate the roof.
Any suggestions? --- TV

pat69chevan
10-03-2001, 12:05 AM
OPPS.... I MEAN TEMPLATES, YOU KNOW THAT US MISSOURI PEOPLE SAY S*%# BACKWARDS. AS OF HEADLINERS, I PLAN ON USING THE ORIGINAL ONE AND HAVE IT COVERED WITH SOME SORT OF MATERIAL. I AM NOT SURE IF A UPHOLSTERY SHOP COULD COME UP WITH A HEAD LINER, MAYBE A HEADLINER FROM A NEWER VAN WOULD WORK, THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS ABOUT THE HEADLINER IN OUR VANS IS THAT AT THE FRONT ABOVE THE WINDOW THERE DOESNT SEEM LIKE THAT MUCH SUPPORT FOR A HEADLINER.

painterchris
10-03-2001, 09:14 AM
Hey, I think you can buy a headliner for the 67-70 model vans from jcwhitney. I know I saw a listing for that headliner kit somewhere. The same kit should more or less fit the 64-66 models (I would think).

Also, if you are interested in factory-style carpeting...I know there are preformed carpet pieces available for the 67-70 vans as well. I know they have carpet available to cover the doghouse and floor, but I'm not sure about the wheel wells. Any good auto upholstery shop should be able to track the kits down for you.

Later,
Andy.

vannman67
10-03-2001, 09:38 AM
I think that nice flat sheetmetal above the driver in the front of the van is the perfect place to put a sunroof. Granted, you may need some extra support for the added weight, but it's definately a possibility. Not one of those puny little sunroofs either, I'm talking about a huge sunroof that fills up a good portion of that area.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

painterchris
10-03-2001, 09:12 PM
A sunroof?! Are you serious? Gawd, I had one in my 65 and I hated that damn thing. It made the van even hotter than it already was in the summer. Nothing like turning your van into a giant greenhouse.

Actually, I just have a serious issue with cutting a hole in the roof of my vehicle. I've owned several vans with sunroofs and vents and every one of them leaked like a sieve. You'd better be damn sure you're going to like the result if you install one too, because undoing it is not a simple task. I replaced the entire roof on my 64 partly to take care of some roof rot and partly to get rid of the damn sunroof. The really sad part is that if I ever sell my van, the next owner will probably cut a hole in my pristine roof and ruin it.

Sunroof. Sheesh.
Andy.

Scott
10-03-2001, 10:42 PM
I put one in my '66 in July. It's huge. It came out of a Volvo I think. It only cost CAN$25. I cut the whole with a jigsaw and a Sawzall. It went in perfectly! Sealed perfectly! And the outside surface is mirrored. It's excellent and it sucks out the smoke. I use it more than my windows now that it is fall.

------------------
Spread power with words" - Asian Dub Foundation

vannman67
10-04-2001, 03:17 PM
I can see your point about cutting holes in the roof of an otherwise perfect van. I've only had one other sunroof that I installed in a vehicle and except for one small area in the front corner where the sheetmetal pulled in when I put the frame on, it really wasn't that bad of an install. It is quite horrifying to cut big holes in perfectly good sheetmetal however. I haven't decided that I will do this for sure, but I will definately be thinking about it and the possible consequences of doing such. I'd sure hate to ruin a good thing.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

Vanner68
10-04-2001, 03:43 PM
I have one in the 70, not leaking (yet), had 2 in my 69, reworked the roof to stop em from leaking (successful), got a power steel slider sunroof that may go in my 68, it has channels and hoses to direct water to the outside. This will be a fairly involved install. I also have a 70 Vista Cruiser roof to go on if I can get the glass for it, mine's cracked. I have 2 sunroofs in my 86 Dodge, the front one developed a leak last year, but it had been in for 12 yrs.
They can be installed without leaks, but they require periodic removal and resealing to remain leak free.