PDA

View Full Version : 11 inch clutch

marwink
01-05-2001, 01:26 PM
The 327cid is out and on the grage floor. The new 350cid from Jasper Engines is next to it getting ready to put in. While going over the parts list I found that the original 10.? inch clutch disk is not as powerful as the later 11 inch clutch setup.
I found a flywheel for the 11 inch clutch at the local wrecking yard but I wonder if it will fit into the bellhousing from the 327. The bell housing I have is aluminum. Did any of you folks make that same swap and know if the bellhousing has to be changed?
Thanks for your thoughts.

------------------
Vanquish
LDComfort.com
www.users.techline.com/mwink

Vanner68
01-05-2001, 05:11 PM
Errmm....No. I ran into this going from a six to an eight in my 68 (heh heh- kinda rhymes..) fortunatley I pulled the 350 from a pickup that was a stick shift so I used it's bellhousing. If you are going to have a lot of grunt out of that jasper motor, you may want to go to an aftermarket steel bellhousing.

marwink
01-05-2001, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the tip. I think I will try this one and if it does not fit, I will get a steel one. I will post what I find out. It will be next week before I know as my radiator won't be re-cored until Monday.
Thanks for the post.

------------------
Vanquish
LDComfort.com

Vanner68
01-05-2001, 08:48 PM
Hey- any V8 stick shift Chevy bellhousing will work- at least after 71 (I think)

greg showers
01-06-2001, 07:18 PM
i went with a lakewood bell housing from summit racing and i also used a universal flywheel, you could bolt on a 10", 11", or a 12" pressure plate, total for the explosion proof bell housing and flywheel and ram clutch i paid like $450.00 a couple years ago i had no problems with the 11 inch not handeling the job (hell it would lift the front end of my 69) hope that this helped

Vanner68
01-06-2001, 07:56 PM
Actually, the 10" cltch will handle the beef, if you have a quality clutch (Hays, etc.) the advantage to a larger flywheel is stored energy. That bigger flywheel with exert more force on the drivetrain to get that heavy van rolling quicker. Downside is engine RPM's don't react to throttle input as quickly. Generally, drag racers will use a heavier flywheel for the brutal launch, whereas circle track and road cours cars use a lighter flywheel for improved throttle response and engine braking. OK, class dismissed! (heh heh)

marwink
01-15-2001, 03:51 AM
An update on the motor swap. The new 350 is on the stand and ready for painting. With, chrome valve covers, edelbrock intake manifold, new water pump, edlebrock fuel pump, new 11 inch clutch and a recored radiator. I ran into a problem with hooking the stock 3-speed transmission to the bigger bellhousing. The collar on the stock transmission was smaller than the center hole on the larger bellhousing I plan to use. Today, we made a spacer ring on the lathe and now have the correct size collar to match the stock transmission to the 11 inch bell housing. The 10.5 inch may have been able to handle the power of the 350 but the 11 inch one, specifically for a 1973 3/4 ton pickup, will better be able to do the job. The car bellhousing and the truck bellhousing are different. The 10.5 inch bellhousing will NOT go around the flywheel from the 11 inch one. All things look good for next weekend. (No promises as I have a few other small modifications I want to make.)
Later...Mario

------------------
Vanquish
LDComfort.com

marwink
02-01-2001, 04:21 AM
Here's another update. The 350 is in the van and it's on the road again. (30 miles, so far.) The Jasper Engine runs smooth. At any RPM, there is not so much as a wiggle out of the motor. It sits still as a stone.
Some considerations. I had to use the short water pump as the newer long one put my alternator pully out of line. I used the balancer from the 350. The center hole in the bell housing for the 11 inch clutch was too big for the transmission collar of the stock three speed so we made a ring on the lathe and pressed it onto the transmission collar. It worked perfect. The clutch engages after lifting the pedal about one 1nch off the floor but I will get used to it. The new Edlebrock intake looks good between the chrome valve covers and the Edlebrock fuel pump does the job. The re-cored radiator seems to keep the heat under control but I have yet to give it a good test. I may have to add an electric fan. I also thought of adding an auxillary heater from a passenger van to help with cooling the engine and heating the cargo area. After a few more miles I might try lifting the front wheels off the ground. (With only the engine for lifting power.) Think I can do it?

------------------
Vanquish
LDComfort.com

Vanner68
02-02-2001, 05:47 PM
you might. My 68 had a 350 with 305 heads(smaller combustion chamber, gives 9.75:1 comp ratio with flat top pistons)Torker intake and cam, headers and full 2 1/2 " exhaust. Rear gear is a 4.11. I could carry the fronts about 6" off the ground for about 50 feet or so, until rpm's would get too high.

marwink
02-03-2001, 02:14 AM
Your 68 sounds like loads of fun. I made a foolish bet with a friend that I could lift the front wheels and I am hoping to win the bet. There are a few kinks to work out and some miles to put on before I make such an attempt. I will be sure to post my success or failure so we can all share in the victory or the defeat. <G>
Later...Mario

------------------
Vanquish
LDComfort.com