PDA

View Full Version : pop out window rubber

Dan Wilson
03-31-2002, 10:19 PM
Hey fellow vanners. I know the subject of pop out window rubber has come up before, but as far as I know, no solution other than improvising right? I was thumbing through
Hemmings and came across Karr Rubber MFG. Any one given them a try? They custom make it if you send them a sample[supposedly]. Any way, it's worth a shot as mine are. The problem is I don't have any to spare. I would happily take on this project if some one sent me a sample, then passed it on to them. They are located in my neck of the woods. If some one else would rather do it, they have an 1-800#,
which is 1-800-955-5277. I am going to call them Monday to see if they have had any request for this rubber or if they have a very close match. I will also ask about the regular window rubber. I went to a car mart on sat. and saw the exact fixed window rubber on an old Cortez RV[very collectable in the RV world]and was thinking of contacting a Cortez club to see where they get their rubber for restorations. If there is a will, there is a way!

vannman67
03-31-2002, 10:55 PM
Are you talking about the rubber that fits inside the frame around the edge of the glass or the rubber that seals the entire pop-out window to the body of the van. If it is the latter, I don't understand why you would go through so much trouble to have someone make something that already exists, even if it isn't STOCK. If it's out there and it works, GREAT. I used a standard bulb seal on all my pop-outs that is made by Trim-Seal. I got it from a local wharehouse that carries all kinds of tools and specialty auto and truck parts. Cost me less than 50 bucks and works fine. I'm just trying to save you a lot of time and money here. That's all.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

MoonJoe
03-31-2002, 11:32 PM
Either way Dan thanks for checking into it. I'm starting to collect replacement rubber for when I get ready to paint and it will be good to know what you come up with.

Joe

Dan Wilson
04-01-2002, 12:24 AM
I am talking about the rubber that fits inside the frame. Hope that clears up any confusion. This isn't available and I missed something here, right?

Dan Wilson
04-01-2002, 07:43 PM
Called Karr Rubber MFG, and they were, uh, how shall I put it.....less than helpful. The guy was almost blaming me for not having a mold! I would say their ad is miss leading. It say's: Custom Made-send in a sample....bla bla bla. I asked him" if I send you a sample, can you make it?" He said:"not without a mold, some one has too pay for the mold, we can't afford to make the mold an manufacture it". THEN, WHY SEND IN A SAMPLE?
His meaning of custom made must be different than mine. I will keep searhing......

bellvan
04-02-2002, 05:46 AM
maby a glass shop has an answer.lots of older cars,late model vans have a frame around the window glass,im shure they run into that sometimes.
i cheated the one time i ran into that situation,just globed black sillicone and trimed it when it was dry.but if your going for the real deal,id check with the glass pros
take care
Rusty

Vanner68
04-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Apparently custom made if you have a 55-57 Chevy or a Camaro.....

bellvan
04-02-2002, 08:48 PM
aint that the truth.

Dan Wilson
04-03-2002, 12:15 AM
Hey Rusty, I guess I can give the glass people a try-thanks.

Tnicean
04-06-2002, 07:44 AM
Hey Vanman,
Can you give me some more information on the rubber for the windows. I just got a sportvan and I need to replace the rubber where the windows are mounted. Thanks.

vannman67
04-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Gladly. Since I'm not sure if you're talking about the fixed windows or the pop-outs, I'll tell you about both. I bought all my window rubber from www.humke.com (http://www.humke.com) in Portland, Oregon. If you call them, ask for a Stan-Pro weatherstripping catalog. For my fixed windows I bought part number AS-1035 which is the main rubber gasket. I used AS-937 lock strip. Make sure you buy the lockstrip insertion tool and the glass hook even if they try to talk you out of it. They're not that expensive and make the job very easy. For the pop-out windows I used a rubber bulb weatherstripping that seats on the pinchweld where the windows go. It's made by Trim-seal and the part number is 6100-1/16". The bulb size is 5/8". Don't buy any smaller bulb size, as it won't properly seal the window. I found that out the hard way. I took my fixed windows to a glass shop and the guy said he'd install them for 50 bucks. Well, he started putting the first one in and got about half way done and then just stopped. He said the glass wouldn't fit and he wasn't gonna do it. Funny thing is, it's the same glass that I took out and the weatherstriping is exactly the same size. So I bought the tools and some silicone spray and did it myself without any problem whatsoever. It also helps to buy a cheap dent pulling suction cup from Checker-Schucks-Kragen to hold the glass. You also need a second person to assist from the inside by pushing the gasket into place. I'm pretty satisfied with the job, although I do need to re-do one window. As I was putting the glass in the gasket got cut up by the edge of the glass and it looks like crap. Good luck with your window venture.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

SurfCat
04-09-2002, 10:24 AM
ok,
im confused. what are you talkin' about when you say "pop-out" windows?
SurfCat

Dan Wilson
04-09-2002, 11:26 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's confused about some stuff I see on the site! What is a door grommet? As to "pop out windows", it's the window that is hinged. The rubber I am refering to is the one that goes into the frame of the door where the fixed window would normally be and has a sealing surface that meets the frame of the pop out window. It is a grooved piece of rubber that is sorta flat one one side where it meets the window and rounded on the inside to form a seal. The beading that some one was talking about I'm not sure about, but my guess is the area where the metal frame meets the glass, there is a bead of rubber? that keeps the window in the frame. THAT is not what I'm in need of, I need the other thing! Anybody?