PDA

View Full Version : Emergency brake

tonye66
05-08-2001, 10:04 PM
Well, I changed out the old muffler to a cherry bomb glass pack from Pep Boys. I replaced everything from the Muffler back. I also moved the exit from the side behind the wheels to straight out the back. I thought the six cylinder would make it sound like an import but it has that sweet V-8 sound that I love. Well, my question is, while hanging the new exhaust, I found that the cables for the emergency brake are not siezed, but the lever is. What can I do to fix this or do I have to get a new one? If I have to get a new one, do any of you guys have a freed up brake lever complete with handle (I still have the old handle which broke off)?

thanks

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited May 08, 2001).]

greyfoxmc
05-09-2001, 06:09 AM
Tony, what I did for my `66 E/B handle (after sitting for 21 years) was to remove it and put it on the work bench. Then every time I would walk by it , I would spray it w/WD-40 (for about a week) till it freed up. You might try to do it right in the van, but don`t HURRY it!!! (in fear of breakage). The handle`s are getting tough to come by....Mike

tonye66
05-09-2001, 10:05 PM
How do you get the lever off w/o cutting the cable?

tony

greyfoxmc
05-09-2001, 10:25 PM
I pulled the whole assy out as one unit. Diconnected the cable in the middle of the van. There`s a nut under the floorboard (I think it was 15/16 or 1") on the assy itself. A coupla phillips screws on the dog house and out it came. A good 1/2 hour to do it. If the nut is rusted on the assy, I would think it would be better to spray it up in the van. BE CAREFUL !!!! Mike

gotavan
05-09-2001, 11:06 PM
I got my e-brake handle freed up in the van by soaking it with Liquid Wrench for a week then applying some heat carefully.I agree you must be patient. We used to use our E-brake for manuvers of the tire shreeking kind, we called it throwing out the anchor. Of course we replaced the handle with a Tee handle or a ejection seat handle something you can really yank on. Dan

------------------
gotavan

TurboVan
05-11-2001, 12:23 AM
Aaahh, brings back those old "Wet Street 180's" memories! --- TV

tonye66
05-18-2001, 07:29 PM
I was able to free it up today. I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench once and I pulled on it and it came all the way up. I don't really want to use the old handle so what should I use? Can I use something from the local Home Depot or other hardeware store?

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited May 18, 2001).]

gotavan
05-19-2001, 09:11 PM
Tony if your handle is not busted or the pin sheared off you may want to leave it alone. On my old econoline they had a tee handle,it was plastic coated sheet metal and it was broke in a week. I got one out of a ranchero I think same except all metal and chrome plated. On the chevy's you have to drill the pin about 1/4" deep with a 3/16 drill then twist the handle off shearing pin. Then you can knock pin out of shaft (goes thru) . I make my own handles but you can find something just so its got a 1/2" hole about 1" deep . Use a 3/16 roll pin 1" long to hold it on. If you can't find anything I could make you one, their not pretty but industrial strength. Dan

------------------
gotavan

tonye66
05-19-2001, 11:07 PM
The reason I wanted to get a new handle is because the old one is broken off (the pin).

Tony