PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank sending unit

BZ
07-12-2001, 10:21 AM
Gas gauge is not working (69 G108), I feel that the problem is at the sending unit.
Anyone had any dealings with this?
Any suggestions?
Anything to watch for when I drop the tank?
shortcuts?
Thanks, BZ

pat69chevan
07-12-2001, 01:31 PM
hey BZ, the line that connects to my sending unit was bad, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. i replaced the line all the way to the front, as well as replacing my sending unit. the only thing that sucked is that the new unit was about a hundred bucks!!! i took out the old unit and the float was shot as well as the pick up tube. the process that i went though to remove my tank was #1) make sure tank was empty, #2) cut rubber fuel hose connecting to sending unit, #3) attempt to remove straps to see if reusable, if not, cut them, make sure to have a floor jack under the tank so it doesnt hit the ground, and make sure to wear a face shield or safety glasses just in case. when i removed my tank, i had to reline it with the POR-15 tank treatment kit, it was worth it, it was like have a brand new tank.

i guess that is all i can tell you, good luck on you expedition.

pat

BZ
07-15-2001, 10:06 PM
Pat: Thanks for the info.
Did you get the sending unit from Chevy?
If so, do you have the part number.
BZ

Yeggster
07-15-2001, 11:57 PM
I put a $19 sending unit from JC Whitney in my 66 works great.......it had to be modified to fit though.

Tip install all new wire to the guage if it does not read perfect.....old wire may have high resistance affecting acuracy.

Yeggster

pat69chevan
07-17-2001, 01:42 PM
hey BZ, sorry i didnt get back to you right away, i still got the box at home and i will get the numbers for you on the sending unit, i believe it is a GM part, i will let you know.

pat