PDA

View Full Version : Early Chevy Value

Vanner68
10-26-2000, 04:12 PM
OK, now we've all been good little boy and girl vanners and have done our summer project, which was to go to as many cruises as possible.
Now here's the question of the day:
How many 70 Chevelles did you see?
How many 69 Camaros?
How many Novas?
Now-
Besides your own, How many Early Chevy Vans?

That's what I thought.

Look in your local classifieds, how many of the above muscle cars are listed? How much are they asking for them?
How many Early Chevy Vans? What are they going for?

Notice a pattern?

All right, now to tie this all up.
Much has been made about saving Vanning and getting in new blood. I'm not sure if Vanning is ever going to make a comeback, but if it does, what do you think will be the most desirable vans to have?

You guessed it- The Early Chevy.

Now I know that some of you are contemplating the potential gold mines you may have in the driveway, but first ask yourself, why did you get an Early Chevy in the first place? Why put up with the scarcity of parts and difficulty in finding a mechanic? Was it because you planned on making a killing on selling it?

No.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say we got our vans because we fell in love with the simple, clean lines and unique personality of these vehicles.

So where does this leave us if we suddenly have the most desirable vans on the road? Do we cash in?

I hope not.

There are sure to be quick buck artist out there, and all of a sudden you won't be able to find those $1000 gems anymore. A co-worker brought in some pics of a 67 Chevelle his neighbor is selling. It has no rear window, all the front sheetmetal is off and in the trunk or leaning against a tree, has no interior, and no motor or trans. It is not an SS or big block car, not even a 4 speed. he wants $1000 for a rusty hulk that would have graced the boneyard a few years ago.

Recently I saw a 69 Chevelle, 350 auto, 4door(!) with a bad Krylon paint job and homemade SS stripes. $8000. No kidding.

I am making a trip up to Canada soon, going to see Ajax about his 70 GMC and parts vans.

Hate to see em go to a speculator instead of someone who really appreciates them.

[This message has been edited by Vanner68 (edited October 26, 2000).]

AJAX
10-26-2000, 06:43 PM
ITS 7:40 AT MY PLACE. I JUST SENT VANNER68 AN E-MAIL ON SOMETHING I'VE BEEN PROJECTING FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS. YOU KNOW HE'S ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. OLD STYLE CHEVY VANS WILL BE THE NEXT HOT ROD RAGE, THAT IS IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. I BET HE'S FILLIN' HIS PANTS.

sambowie
10-26-2000, 07:39 PM
Vanner68, that was so good I read it twice.
Beautifly said words my man, every one of our vans has a crazy story behind it. The addiction to 64-66 gmvans has never left my soul the day I set eyes on one.And thats one
of the main reasons why,there just so simple.

riff raff
10-26-2000, 07:55 PM
I don't think I could even consider selling my van. I have had a camaro and I have had another van (1980) and all were great vehicles. But driving in my early is the best. The looks you get from all the different people, and all the conversations I have had at the gas stations, resturants etc... The best thing in the world is sitting on top of the front wheels with a V8 sitiing next to you while you cruise the blvd or just driving to your job. An early is the only way to go. Van On My Friends TIM

painterchris
10-26-2000, 08:23 PM
It's funny that you mention this. I have noticed in the past few years that a lot of the old custom vans from back in the day are reappearing. It seems like all the people who have had a hot rod van residing in their garage for the past 20 years or so have decided to sell it. I see more early 70's and mid 60's vans now than I did just 5 years ago. You may be right about vans coming back into style. The 1960's vans may see a resurgence, just like the station wagons have in the past few years. On one hand, it would be cool to see more vans on the road, but the increase in part prices would not be welcome. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...
LAter,
Andy.

Vanner68
10-26-2000, 08:31 PM
Hey-
Ajax has a rockin project goin, but I'll let him decide when to spring it http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif

more strangeness from the hot rod world...
I once owned a 90% original 53 Ford F-100 that I bought for $800 and later traded for a Lincoln MkIV when the springs broke.......
just heard today about a similar (same) truck going for $2000 at a swap....

my boss bought 3 Model A Fords in the Upper Peninsula for $300, sold one as soon as he got back for $1000.

and some people say thar earlies for sale here are overpriced.....

pat69chevan
10-27-2000, 12:17 PM
hey guys, you know what i would like to see is that one day i will pick up a super chevy magazine and turn to pages featuring a huge car show, like super chevy sunday, and what i would hope to see is one of our vans with an award like judges choice or top car of show. or even better, if enough vans come back into circulation, maybe one of the car shows will generate a new class, like 63 - 70 chevy vans.

cool

pat

DAN
10-27-2000, 09:14 PM
yes pat i would like to see that to.us vanners are going to have to make it hapen.
i take my van to all the car shows in my neck of the woods.they put me in with trucks becouse no van classes.i,m the olny one there with a van.pepole love to see my old van and say,they would like to see more of them at the shows.i had a 67 to ,sold it to my frend so he could fix it up,so he could go.i,ve wouht all the the car clubs,they say need more vans to have a class.need to have a vanin for all the old vans.i would be there. so van on all you vanners dan

solid side 65
10-30-2000, 07:09 PM
value or selling price is solely based on what someone is willing to spend. supply and demand, economic conditions and impulse also play a part. it works for real estate, employment, collectibles and vehicles. remember what Hemi powered cars were fetching in the mid-late 80ís? then in the mid 90ís i watched one auctioneer work to get about half of what that same car sold for in the 80ís. our vans are only worth what someone is willing to spend on that particular day. thereís a seat for every A$$. my $.02

and yes i do get tried of being lumped in the trucks category at most shows, twice i was placed in the panels-sedan deliveries group at truck only events, which i guess is ok for my no-door.

Vanner68
10-30-2000, 07:41 PM
My point exactly. Once the supply of muscle cars dries up, or people get tired of parking their Camaros at the end of the long line of other Camaros, and start looking for "something different", that's when they may start looking at vans again. Since the big three's offerings didn't change much from the 70's to the mid 90's, naturally the Early Vans are going to be in highest demand. Also, since Chevrolet is arguably the most popular make in any form, it is very likely that our favorite vans will be in the most demand.

This is both a blessing and a curse. At first this will drive up the price of parts and make Roger Moyles a very rich man. If the demand becomes strong enough the aftermarket may jump in with quality reproduction pieces.

I don't claim that this will happen, but automotive trends tend to be circular, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

At any rate, It will be nice to be considered cutting edge cool instead of old hippie anachronisms for a change.

AJAX
10-30-2000, 08:20 PM
GOOD POINTS BEING BROUGHT UP BY ALL!! I PARTICULARLY LIKE THE IDEA OF REPRODUCTION AFTERMARKET PARTS. I BELIEVE WE TALKED ABOUT DISC BRAKES A WHILE AGO. I THINK SOMETHING TO CONSIDER IS THE FOLLOWING. IF YOU SEE ONE OF OUR FAVOURITES SITTING IN A FEILD OR BEIND A BARN OR WHERE EVER AND YOU HAVE THE MEANS AND THE SPACE, TRY AND AQUIRE IT. THIS IS NOT TO MAKE A BUNDLE OF CASH SOMEWHERE DOWN THE ROAD BUT MORE THE POINT OF HAVING THE WHERE FOR ALL TO HELP FELLOW VANNERS. I KNOW HERE IN CANADA THEY ARE BECOMING AS RARE AS HEN'S TEETH( WHERE DID I GET THAT) FLAT GLASS ARE IMPOSSIBLE. 67-70 ARE ALMOST IN THE SAME WAY. I WOULD BE KIND OF COOL IF WE COULD JUST HAVE AN OLD AIRPLANE HANGER SOME PLACE AND START TO FILL IT UP. OH------------WISHFUL THINKING.

AJAX
10-30-2000, 08:35 PM
AND SPEAKING OF WHICH, HAS ANYONE HEARD FROM GIRLVAN65 OUT OF PEORIA. SHORTBUSNUT' I THINK WAS TALKING TO HER ABOUT BUYING HER 65. I SENT HIM AN E-MAIL BUT NO REPLY, AND THERE IS NOT AN E-MAIL FOR GIRLVAN65. GIRLVAN65 ARE YOU LISTENING????

painterchris
10-30-2000, 11:59 PM
speaking of buying up old vans, a funny thing happened to me yesterday. I have lately been seeing a yellow early econoline near my apartment. Yesterday, I got behind him and followed him into my apartment complex. When I saw him going in, I followed and talked to him when he stopped at another building. Apparently he knows someone who lives there and he visits them a lot. Well, we were talking about vans and he has a line on several early vans, including several chevies, 2 or 3 econolines and a dodge. I am getting him to ask about a 65-66 sportvan he knows about. Anyway, If anyone in Georgia is looking for an early van, I may have some leads. Just give me a few weeks to track them all down. Sounded like most of them were reasonably priced project vans. Too bad I live in an apartment. I don't have anywhere to park a parts van.

Cheap vans are still out there...
Later,
Andy.

68chevyboy
11-03-2000, 08:25 PM
hey painterchris, there is a real cheap 68 on south cobb drive in mareitta. check it out. more details later

painterchris
11-04-2000, 05:17 PM
Yeesh. I was procrastinating on some schoolwork today, so I drove out to take a look at that 68. "Rough" is a good word for it. The paint job is really screwed up. It has some rust holes in the floor, NO TRANSMISSION, no vent windows. It needs new seats, and an electrical overhaul. One of the front wheels is missing and I have serious doubts about whether or not that engine has any life left in it. $400 seems a little steep. It might be worth $200. Getting that truck back in running condition would not be easy. Morgan's Auto PArts in Stockbridge has 2 late 60's chevy vans which are both more complete and in better condition than that one. Morgan's said they would sell either one for $500. It's a much better deal. BTW, Someone recently told me that there is a junkyard not far from MYER'S that also has an old van or two.
Later,
Andy.

Vanner68
11-04-2000, 05:39 PM
Get used to it guys(and girls), the van is making a comeback. Revell has a 70's custom van model re-issue out, Earlies are in commercials and TV shows. Think about it- everything else is being used up, anyone looking for stuff from the 60's and 70's will be eyeing our little hobby soon. Popularity comes with a price, and that price is scarcity and elevated value. I don't expect to see $10000 prices as the norm, but we will be paying more for less van, that's a given. In the mid 80's I bought a 68 Chevy parts van that would be a restoration candidate now. 108",V8 auto with power brakes and 3/4 ton suspension- GE20 series. It was an ex State cop surveillance van, set up for 6 batteries to run all the equipment. It was hit in front, but drivable. I paid $75 for it, and it was rust free! I ripped all the good stuff out and towed the rest to the crusher. Wish I had cut out the windshield frame now, oh well.
Try to find something like that now!

Vanner68
11-04-2000, 05:45 PM
Oh, yeah- in reference to the above mentioned Hemi cars, My mother bought a Charger new in 71- $3000. The Dodge dealer had a 71 Super Bee Hemi 4 speed with air in Plum Crazy purple that he offered her for $4500. She turned it down because it had a white interior. Flash forward to the early 90's- I needed a car, so she gave me the Charger, Man did I wish she had bought the Hemi!

68chevyboy
11-04-2000, 06:09 PM
pretty sad that van wound up like that. the ones at myers are better??? hmmmmmm... either have a v-8? window or panel? ill have to ask them about them i diddint know they would sell them. thanks very much.

68chevyboy
11-04-2000, 06:11 PM
hey by the way, mine was worse, but all there. shows how much i love my van.

painterchris
11-05-2000, 03:54 PM
The vans at MYER'S are worse. The vans at MORGAN'S (the yard in stockbridge) are better. They have a 68/69 90" display van. The body is in pretty good shape. I think it's a manual. Needs new glass all around, new seats, but most of it is there and in decent shape. They also have a 69/68 108" sportvan custom in really good shape. Almost totally complete, good glass, decent paint, few dents. They pulled the rear end, but the $500 would include the rear end (they have it in the barn. That one has a 327 with bad timing gears and automatic tranny. If it was a short van, I would have bought it already. It would be a fairly easy restore. I know it's a long drive from where you live, but you may want to go look.
Later,
Andy.

68chevyboy
11-05-2000, 05:42 PM
i meant morgans. sorry. hey if it would fire, dad might let me keep it--the one with the 327. thanks tons. by the way, www.shermanparts.com (http://www.shermanparts.com) has van sheetmetal. you have to order a catologue though. thanks so much and van on.

AJAX
11-05-2000, 09:32 PM
JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW--SOME GUY IN MICHIGAN HAS GOT IT BAD. NOW HE OWNS ONE 67 TWO 68'S AND A 70 NO DOOR!!! HIS WIFE IS GOIN' A KILL HIM. SAFE DRIVE HOME!

Vanner68
11-06-2000, 03:05 PM
He He- Gotta Love It!