PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold cross reference?

bakka
10-03-2001, 05:22 PM
So , I've been looking for a used exhaust manifold for the 250 straight 6 but seem to be out of luck. The problem is that when you say it is for a 67 chevy van most wrecking yards just say no because of the age of the van without even bothering to check other models of cars and/or pickups with the straight six. I know they made this engine for a long time and I can still get a brand new manifold from chevy.($258.00) Does anyone know what other vehicles share this exhaust manifold. If I can still get it new from chevy that has to mean something they made more recently than our vans must fit well enough to be listed in their parts computer as still availible. The gasket set I bought recently says it fits those motors from '63 to '89. If I new a later model that fit then I might have better luck at the wrecking yard. Thanks

ahighdiver
10-03-2001, 08:43 PM
Just ask for a chevy streight six intake manafold. Or find a pick and pull and walk through looking for one on any chevy six car or truck from 62 to 88.
Highdiver.

Vanner68
10-04-2001, 03:46 PM
Try to get one that's pre 77 if possible. The later sixes had an integral head and intake and the exhaust manifold may be slightly different. Compare em side by side to be sure.

MadElf
10-04-2001, 06:22 PM
Are you trying to stay really stock? If not, check into JC Whitney or Clifford Performance for a header. They do make em. Clifford even has a split header for dual exhaust.

Rich Van Linkel
10-05-2001, 07:25 AM
Bakka,

Good to see your back. Haven't heard a lot from you since the rally. Busy painting?

Say, are you still interested in the 68-70 camper special up here? Like I told you at the rally, it still has a lot of good stuff on it and a origional V-8. The pan on the Automatic trans has been taken off, but it's still there. i just don't know what was taken from inside. I think it would be a great van for you either for parts or restoration, just $400. Let me know. I could haul it out of the wrecking yard and hold on to it till we could get it down to you. If you want I could get you some pictures of it and let you get a better idea of what I'm discribing.

Van on,

the Bohemian

ahighdiver
10-05-2001, 06:30 PM
There is a 68 108 abandon on I-5 in Dunsmure california. I saw it when I was comming to the meet. My friend saw it there as recently as a month ago. It is at the gas station on the southbound side on the south side of town.
HD.

bakka
10-12-2001, 11:29 PM
No, I don,t care about keeping it stock. I did check on the clifford header and it is the same cost as a new manifold from chevy. It also requires a special intake manifold from what I saw on the clifford website. Am I right about that?
The local pick and pull has a manfold from late 60's or early 70's. They wont sell just the exhaust manifold. Their suggestion was to not seperate the intake from the exhaust and just swap them out without replacing the gaskit between the manifolds. They want $125 for the set.
I have always had a leak where the manifolds bolt together so I don't like the idea of not replacing that gaskit if I buy a used set.
I know that if they are seperated I need to get them planned flat at a machine shop.( Thanks Freflyte) I have never had that done before wich explains why I have never been able to get that joint to seal up.
Should I keep looking for a junkyard that will sell me just an exhaust manifold? If I buy a brand new one can I just have my existing intake manifold planned flat to match the new exhaust?
Thanks, Pat

Vanner68
10-13-2001, 08:00 PM
When I replaced the exhaust manifold on my 70, I used a mill file to smooth the mating surfaces, and finished with a stone. I then used spotter's ink to check mating contact. I was able to get 100% seal (approx. 90% surface contact) in about an hour. But then scraping in machinery is what I do for a living.....

MadElf
10-13-2001, 08:26 PM
If Cliffords says so, it's probably so. I was looking up stuff for Ford in-lines when I was poking around & they're different, (you can replace the exhaust manifold without disturbing the intake) so I couldn't say on the Chevy. If the intake is gasketed to the exhaust (and I won't get into how weird I think that concept is) then I would guess they would have to be replaced as a pair.

solid side 65
10-15-2001, 04:00 PM
Pat, the big end of the season swap meet, car show, auto auction is this weekend in Portland at the Expo. I'll see if I can find any leads for you on used pieces. There was a guy in Sandy that specialized in GM sixes, he is usually there and could be a source. Freflyte and I may cruse out there in his new 67, a half ton clone of yours.

Rich Van Linkel
10-17-2001, 07:25 AM
Pat,

I used to have a 250 in my 66 that came out of a 81 Chevy pick-up. It had a integral head on it, meaning the exhaust manifold was cast into the head, so it was all one unit. I took it in to a local head shop to get it planned, but then decided to go with the V-8 so I never went back and got it. I could check and see if he still has it if your interested. I'd just give it to you.

Rich

painterchris
10-17-2001, 08:23 PM
Personally, I would take the junkyard's advice and NOT take the manifold apart. Generally speaking, the gasket will not leak if you leave it alone. By taking it apart, you are simply adding a lot of hassle and expense to the job. Also, you may not be able to get the seal perfect even if you do have the surfaces machined. This is because used manifolds are almost always slightly warped from the heat and you may not be able to get them back together properly. If you're going to install a used manifold, you shouldn't take it apart. But, make sure the yard will gaurantee that it has a good seal. For the price they are asking, they should gaurantee it.
LAter,
Andy.