PDA

View Full Version : Headlights flicker

bakka
02-17-2002, 01:18 AM
I was reading through my original owners manual for my 67 sportvan and noticed a criptic warning in a section that is titled " Lighting system trouble checks" It says " If the headlights flicker,the system should be checked immediately to find and correct the overload condition"
What overload condition?
The headlights on my van have been flickering for at least a decade. The flickering changes with engene speed and effects the instrument lights as well.I have replaced the alternator and voltage regulater in that time and it had no effect on this problem. Any ideas?

Vanner68
02-17-2002, 04:19 PM
The flickering the manual refers to is similar to a strobe, on-off-on-off...that's the circuit breaker in the headlight switch cycling due to a high current drain or short. The condition you have is crappy grounds due to the van being over 30 yrs old! Solution is simple- pull apart and clean all connections, remove grounds and scrape down to bare metal, another thing you can do is install a headlight relay that takes a larger wire direct from the battery and runs it to the headlights thru the relay, using the original headlight wiring to activate the relay. This eliminates the voltage drop thru the stock switch.