PDA

View Full Version : info on 1970 Chevy II Panel Van

SurfCat
04-03-2001, 03:33 PM
hey all,
im not a mechanic by any means but i have always loved the older econoline vans and panel trucks. i have recently been searching for one. i came across 2 vans that i have narrowed it down to that fit my price range. one being a 65 Ford Falcon, and the other a 70 chevy panel van. they both need a little restoration. are either of these vans easy to find parts for? the falcon has been converted to a automatic tranning. is that gonna be hard to resell if i decided to sell it? it comes with the original 3 speed tranning. is there anywhere i can find info on these particular models? any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
paul

smiley
04-04-2001, 08:58 AM
Hey Surfcat,

Well, personal preference aside, I'd say that either way you go; develop a close personal relationship with every salvage yard in your area. Both the Chevy and Ford vans are hard to find parts for, but they are out there. You'll get used to it, but you won't be able to just call an auto parts store for everything you need.

I've found that the automatic transmission is rather coveted, so I think it may aid in a future resell.

I have both Chevy and Ford earlies, and I personally prefer the Chevy (I feel they are a little more solid)...BUT, I must say I'd take either over anything else out there. Maybe you should just get both. You can't go wrong.

SurfCat
04-04-2001, 11:56 AM
Right on!
thanks a bunch smiley.
i just may get both!

TurboVan
04-06-2001, 12:46 AM
Welcome, SurfCat! There's a new truck salvage yard in Santa Paula that has some early Chevys and Fords. Briggs Rd exit, Mission Rock Rd. Good luck! --- TV (Ojai)

SurfCat
04-06-2001, 11:03 AM
Far Out! thanks TV! I'm perty sure i know where that is. I will definitely go check it out!
many thanks;
paul