PDA

View Full Version : re-re-wiring 68

duece
02-02-2001, 11:35 PM
I'm finally ready to get my 68, "Stay-Puft", back on the road, after 6 years. I need to rewire the Engine section of the harness, I' ve got the hanyes manual with it's diagram any. one have any hints, Also I'd like to change the canister style oil filter to a more, gasp, modern style.

------------------

TurboVan
02-05-2001, 12:23 AM
You can get a spin-on conversion. Any good auto parts store can hook you up with one. `68 and newer 327's came with spin-ons. --- TV

pat69chevan
02-05-2001, 08:54 AM
hey deuce, how precise is the wiring diagram in that manual? if you need a better diagram, what i did was i went to the library headquarters in mo. and i looked through the reference section. i obtained all the years of the diagramsa and i sent them to smiley. if you are interested in a copy, let me know and i can get it and mail it to you. i have a 69 108 and what i did was condensed one copy down to haf its size and plastic coated it so i can use a dry erase marker on it, and i made a full size copy to record and date what wiring changes have been made. that is my little bit of vanology, the science of vannin!

pat

vannman67
02-06-2001, 08:20 PM
Hey, I'd sure like to get my hands on the diagram for the 1967 van. I'm just about to start the rewiring part of my restoration and I'm sure I'll be lost without the diagram. Anything you can pass along would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks Vannman

smiley
02-07-2001, 08:18 AM
Hey Vannman,

I have a '67 diagram, just been too busy to add it to the site. I'll add it tonight to the restoration page ( www.vcvc.org/resto.html (http://www.vcvc.org/resto.html) )

You can download it and print it using Adobe's Acrobat Reader. If you don't have it, there's a link on the page to get it free.

Smiley

tomschaner
02-07-2001, 11:42 AM
when rewrapping your wire harness make sure you use the oem tape and not electrical tape.if you do use electrical tape to wrap up the harness i guarantee that your odds of having an electrical fire will be pretty good.year one sells the correct stuff part# h-wrap it costs about $11 a roll which seems kind of steep but its worth keeping your harness as flexible as possible to prevent insulation cracking and a eventual major wire short.there # is 1 800 year one.two rolls is enough to do an entire van.one other tidbit inspect your wires closely before you wrap them up and if you find any in bad shape replace the wire run and install new oem terminals(they are available thru napa)these terminals have a little tab that allows you to reuse the stock connectors. they actually lock the terminal into the connector.i've redone about eight harnesses on several types of vehicles and this is definitely the way to go.my last advice is spot tape(with electrical tape) the harness while unwrapping the old tape about every foot or so this will allow you to properly duplicate your run so that everything the harness plugs into lines up correctly.good luck tom.

vannman67
02-07-2001, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the tip and the posting of the wiring diagram. I do have one other question. I removed my steering column to take off the old column shifting mechanism. the wiring that goes to the turn signal cam is run through the bottom part of the cam housing and I need to remove it to paint the column. The wires have already been cut once and spliced back together using butt connectors. Looks crappy and is very bulky. Do you know if the wires can be replaced at the cam connections and can i get a new plug ( the half moon shaped one ) to go on the end? Thanks again.

Vannman

painterchris
02-07-2001, 09:40 PM
I don't know about replacing the wires at the cam, but I put a 67 column in my 64. The column harness connectors are different. The wires are all the same tho, so I cut off the original connectors on both sides and crimped some insulated spade terminals on the wires. It's not OEM, but you really can't see it up under the dash anyway.
Later,
Andy.

smiley
02-08-2001, 10:23 AM
Just as a note, the '67 diagram is up now: www.vcvc.org/resto.html (http://www.vcvc.org/resto.html)

duece
02-22-2001, 08:35 PM
Any word on the 68 Wire diagram?

smiley
02-23-2001, 02:10 AM
Hey Deuce,

I'll get the '68 diagram up this weekend.

duece
02-23-2001, 08:12 PM
You rock, smiley

68chevyboy
02-23-2001, 08:22 PM
I SECOND THAT MOTION!

duece
03-04-2001, 12:37 AM
sorry to be a nudge but, about that diagram??

duece
03-09-2001, 10:52 PM
hello??

smiley
03-12-2001, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry to hold you up like this deuce,
My wife and I are in the middle of moving and our house is torn apart. I'm gonna force myself to get it up tonight. I found he schem. in a pile of club stuff las night.

duece
03-12-2001, 12:54 PM
My wife and I know all about moving, we are just finally getting out from underneath our last, from germany. Thanks again, looking forward to working on it this weekend.