PDA

View Full Version : I challenge you to a "dual"?

smiley
04-13-2001, 11:05 AM
I know I'm sending out of barrage of easy questions, but I gotta learn.

I want to run dual exhaust on my 250. Are headers the only way? I have the older 250 without the integrated head.

I noticed that Flowmaster makes a single input/dual output muffler. Does this sound like the way to go, or should I use a Y with two different mufflers?

Will one way make more power or audible difference than the other?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck???

ahighdiver
04-13-2001, 02:10 PM
Hey Smiley; You could use that flowmaster and you would get a very even sound from duels. Or you could buy a split manifold. I've seen stock two piece cast iron manifolds
on about a 1980 chevy pick up. And there is a company called Fenton. you can see them at stovebolt. I currently have what came on my 65, one into two, a wye and then two turbos with lake pipes. This configuration makes it sound uneven. Almost like a lope. I have headers but I need a clear weekend to install them. Clifford sells new headers for $260. I think that headers with turbos and lake pipes are the best on the shortie vans. The 108s sound better with drag pipes. headers add about twenty horses. I'm not sure about the others.
That's my 3 cents worth. "This is California, things cost more here".
David.

[This message has been edited by ahighdiver (edited April 13, 2001).]

smiley
04-14-2001, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the reply ahighdiver. I think I may pursue the 2from1 Flowmaster setup. I want to get it done before Branson, so I think I'm going to bypass the header idea for now.

On a related note, does anyone know how the old "zoomies" were set up? I REALLY want to go with that style, but have found no ifo on how they were set up, what system to run them with, nothing. If anyone knows, it would be very greatly appreciated!

prostreet65
04-20-2001, 11:30 PM
If you mean those 4 individual pipes on each
side, I think I remember seeing them in the
J.C. Whitney catalog a LONG time ago. It was
just a pipe that hooked on the back of your
muffler with 4 bent pipes branching off it.
That WOULD look cool on a van!
Later, John

smiley
04-23-2001, 03:19 PM
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I guess if they aren't in production anymore, I may be able to get a muffler shop to fab some.

sambowie
04-23-2001, 06:58 PM
Some of those Zoomies were just on ebay, brand new old stock. they werent going for cheap.

smiley
04-23-2001, 09:18 PM
Hey Sam,
Those are exactly what I am looking for! If I would have known about them, I would have paid that much for them. I do prefer the angled tips to the flared tips, but for a set in that condition, I would have gone for it.

I used to search for "zoomies" on eBay years ago, but after months of never turning anything up, I stopped looking. I guess I'll have to start checking routinely again.

Thanks for helping me out. I copied the picture since I've never seen how they were structured before. They look alot like standard collectors. The search is on...again!