PDA

View Full Version : surgery

rustovan
11-11-2000, 11:09 PM
I have a 66 sportvan. I would like to remove the entire "shell" in order to spend the winter with a wire brush and lots of beer in order to clean and seal the frame and all undercarriage. Is removal of the body "easy"? If not, I could live with it being a flatbed, and leaving the cab. (possibly welding the back of an old chevy truck cab to seal it off)

painterchris
11-12-2000, 09:36 AM
Hey,
I'm not sure what exactly you are thinking of doing, but you can't remove the body from the frame on a chevy van. Unlike the fords and dodges, chevy made a unitized frame (it's welded directly to the floor pan). I sincerely doubt that you could separate the frame from the body without doing serious damage to both. So, an "off-the-frame" restoration is not even possible as far as I know. The best you can do is strip the van down and sandblast everything.
Good Luck,
Andy.

AJAX
11-12-2000, 05:50 PM
PAINTERCHRIS HAS SAID IT ALL. IF YOU TRY TO SEPERATE THE UNIBODY CONSTRUCTION YOU BETTER BE A GREAT GUY WHEN IT COMES TO WELDING. OR MAYBE YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET AN 88 CORVETTE FRAME,MASSAGE IT JUST A LITTLE AND PUT YOUR BODY BACK ON THAT. JUST THINK OF THE IMPROVED SUSPENSION AND HANDLEING!!!

pat69chevan
11-13-2000, 04:08 PM
why couldnt you remove all the weight from it an put it on one of those pivoting stands, just an idea, i think that they are pretty expensive, i have completely gutted a 67 108 and it was a pain in the butt! good luck

pat

Yeggster
11-13-2000, 10:07 PM
Yep likethe other guys said the uni body style make s removeing the body a troch job.......AND it would be REALLY dodgey driving it like that too.......the body panles are part of the superstructure and removing them might make the van fold up at an unopertune time....I perhaps just when you nailed that new chevy crate EFI engine passing a big rig on a narrow raod with uncomeing trafic http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Vanner68
11-14-2000, 04:37 PM
Hey Smiley- Can you get a Spell Checker on this board for these Canadians? Or maybe a Canadian to English dictionary? http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif