PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank fixes and band-aids

schwim
10-30-2001, 09:42 PM
Hi all,

today, I made a set of tank straps for the '65. I've read quite a few posts where these have rotted and dropped the tank and this one is no different. The previous owner was about a mile away from where he bought it when he dropped and dragged the tank about a 1/4 mile. It's ground up pretty bad on one corner and although it doesn't have an active leak right now(one pinhole has been plugged w/2 stage JB weld), any more rust, and my luck(and gas) will run out. I remember reading something about a 2 part coating you could put in the tank(I read it in a VW magazine)that would turn to something like a ceramic coating. Has anybody used anything like this? I need to clean it up and try to make it last as long as possible unless someone has a line on a cheap one in good shape.

Thanks,
Jason

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Scott
10-30-2001, 11:14 PM
Call around to local shops, they might be able to help you out. Call a Rad repair place sometimes you can get a fix and tank clean for around $40. With rust being so bad you probably want the tank acid cleaned so that those rust particles don't make their way to your fuel system.

69G20
10-31-2001, 03:53 AM
schwim I've used a kit from JCW (anyone surprized) Gas tank teatment kit (http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=32824&BQ=jcw2)
To my surprise when I droppped my 30 year old tank and looked inside it was hard to find a few specks of rust. The worst part for me was the time it takes to do it since mine is a daily driver. The acid wash is mild and time helps it. And multi layers of the coating and drying before use takes time.

Carl

vannman67
10-31-2001, 07:56 AM
I just dropped my tank last week. It's funny that everyone says how their straps are all rusted out. Mine were in great shape except for the non squeak padding that goes between them and the gas tank. It had been empty for four years so I took it to the carwash to clean all the crap off it. I sprayed the inside as well. When I looked in it through the float hole, all I see is nice, shiny, metal with no holes or rust whatsoever. I think this van may have originally come from Texas. Maybe that explains it. Does anyone know what the material is that is used between the straps and the tank or where I can get some?

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

bostonvan
10-31-2001, 08:32 AM
Hey all.,
My tank was a mess when I started my restoration , and I found a place on the web called Moyer's, www.gas-tank.com (http://www.gas-tank.com) , they did an awesome job and my tank is as good as new. They could not help with a sender or straps, but they got the rust off completely, and coated it inside and out. Very nice, and done right.

MadElf
10-31-2001, 04:35 PM
I can't vouch for the correctness of this but...
A company called Northwest Metal Products http://www.nwmp.com/catalog.htm
claims to have new replacement gas tanks.
"for 69 to 76 Chevy Vans, long and short wheelbase"
I only question whether they know what they're talking about because I would think that if it fit 69's it would fit earlier ones as well, and I wonder about vans to 76 using the same tank. But...
It might be worthwhile to call them up and give them the third degree if you need a tank. (I actually don't, I just stumbled across the site by accident when looking for something else)

MadElf
10-31-2001, 04:37 PM
Almost forgot...
the new tanks are also supposed to come with sending units and mounting hardware.

tomschaner
10-31-2001, 05:16 PM
this is to answer your question on what to use for padding between the gas tank and straps.learned this a long time ago.use tar paper for roofing.works and looks perfect.just cut it slightly wider then your strap width.i wouldn't buy a full roll but i'm sure you'll be able to find some laying around at a house that's being built.best of all that way its free!my favorite price.

pat69chevan
11-01-2001, 08:52 AM
hey madelf, i looked at that website that handled the gas tanks and i was wondering about the gallon sizes. the long wheel base tank was 44 gallon and the short wheel base was 38 gallon. ????????? i plan on calling then to determine the specs on the tanks. i hope one will fit my van because my tank has be relined but i would like to have a fresh one for my restoration.

thanks

pat

schwim
11-01-2001, 12:38 PM
BostonVan,

How much did it cost you in all to get that done and did you ship it to and from, or was it a pickup?

Thanks,
Jason

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.