PDA

View Full Version : Clutch help...

Seamus
04-20-2002, 07:41 PM
I'm moving into my first house, using my 67 GMC for the task. Today I put it reverse to back up to the house (fully-loaded). It wasn't too happy so I stopped and I didn't think much of it. Well, I noticed when starting afterward my engine was laboring and there was a whine coming from somewhere. I suspect I screwed up my clutch and that it's not disengaging. All my auto books (both of them) are packed. Is there a quick fix? After the downpayment on this house, I'm Ramen-eating broke.

leadfoot
04-20-2002, 07:49 PM
hey don't knock them ramen noodles man
they're a household main staple-
i speak with experiance here -you can live on them damm things- as for your van maybe it's a bound up cable? whats the pedal doin?
start from the top and work your way into the tranny -hope you won't have to travel too deep to find the problem-
-and hey at least your van is home right?-could be stuck at your old place full o stuff
-broken vehicles s*ck~worse when not at home-
wish you luck -hope it isn't major
VAN~ON errrr a Move~on? VAN~ON later

Seamus
04-20-2002, 08:50 PM
I checked and there was no kink of the cable, but the boot that goes into the tranny is torn and leaking, and the lever doesn't seem to have a lot of action back and forth. This doesn't sound good...

gregw98
04-21-2002, 12:48 AM
You are talking about a 3 on the tree aren't you. If so, put the shifter in neutral and climb under your van to make sure that both of your shift levers on the trans are in the middle postion. I am not sure if you can put it into 2 gears at once, but if you have loose linkage, with worn bushings, it may have not completely disengaged from one of the gears. If you drove it there with no problems and everything has been working fine, I doubt that you have hurt anything. Let us know what you find.
Greg

Seamus
04-23-2002, 06:01 PM
Greg- I put it in neutral and adjusted both shift levers to vertical (is that the middle?) and the problem was still there. Another funny symptom is when I turn of the engine, it "whines down." Seems to be coming from the flywheel. A very weird sign. I'm working a lot on my house so I don't have much time to investigate more, but soon I'll have to make it cause I need my van.

gregw98
04-23-2002, 08:45 PM
It may not be totally vertical, but there are 3 posions that they can be in. You want the middle position. Next, check that your throw-out bear is engagining to the pressure plate. If your clutch pedal was pretty loose, the adjustment rod may have slipped out of place and may not be fully engaging. Get under van and watch, while someone pushs in the clutch to see if the throw-out arm s functioning right. PUT ON THE PARKING BRAKE FIRST AND DO NOT HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING or you might just get squashed. I still think we have a simple problem here, that something just jumped out of place.
Greg

tomschaner
04-23-2002, 09:09 PM
seamus take that inspection cover off or better yet just loosen the fork boot from the bellhousing and take a look almost sounds to me like your throwout bearing unseated itself from the clutch fork.may have fell off or partially unseated itself.thereby rendering the clutch useless.