• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 69G20
    Certifiable Vanatic
    • May 2001

HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKES!

Hey guys I just ordered kevlar composite brakes shoes and spring kit. I don't think anyone has gotten disc brakes adapted for our vans so these brake shoes may be our best option. The claims sound good. The site is under construction, don't miss the scrolling link to the october special. Which the salesman Tom said we could an extension for maybe 14 days. His boss wasn't in at the time to say for sure, but mention VCVC if you order. My total cost with shipping to Tampa was $200.25 Another upgrade for 1/2 ton vans to think about is to put 3/4 ton axles on it.
    *STAGE-I Semi-Kevlar Combo Kit $180.00/Oct. Special (Reg./$213.95)
    Front 11 X 2 3/4
    Rear 11 X 2
    Front Trick Spring Kit
    Rear Trick Spring Kit
    *Shipping & Handling (Please call for this price)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sub-Total $180.00

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *STAGE-I Semi-Kevlar Combo Kit $180.00/Oct. Special (Reg./$213.95)
    For 1/2 Ton Models with
    Front 9 X 2 1/2
    Rear 9 X 2
    Front Trick Spring Kit
    Rear Trick Spring Kit
    *Shipping & Handling (Please call for this price)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (from e-mail reply)
    Does anyone know if am wrong about the swap by bolting them up to the leaf springs?
    You would also get better king pins and maybe a 12-bolt poai. Something to think about if you come across a junk G20. The down side is a six bolt wheel pattern that is less common but stronger and the front drums costs $1oo a piece when I ordered them from NAPA. These shoes are suppose to reduce drum wear too. praisedynobrake.com

Carl

[This message has been edited by 69G20 (edited October 31, 2001).]
    aka the Viewmaster
    VCVC Vanatic Map --- 67 thru 70 Colorized Wiring Diagram - Colorized 1st Gen wiring Diagram
  • HippieVanDave
    Van Addict
    • Jan 2001

Did you have trouble stopping before? My 69 G20 108 stops very well, not like my 4 wheel disc Fiat, but good. The fiat stops so well, I gotta watch for somebody hitting me in a panic stop. I'm curious as to how much better it gets. The only time I had trouble stopping was when I had a 2500 lb. trailer with 3 1200 lb. fiats on it hooked up. I DESERVED that trouble! Didn't hit anything, but I was real careful, and scared!
    David

[This message has been edited by DaveTrisch (edited November 02, 2001).]

Comment

• 69G20
      Certifiable Vanatic
      • May 2001

Only big problem I can remember was when I couldn't bleed the front brakes and found that the relatively new hoses had collapsed or swelled on the inside.
      The main reason for me buying the kevlar shoes is because the front drums costs a $100 a piece through NAPA. But the 1/2 ton models could use help running in traffic with new cars and this looks like the easy way for them to upgrade.
      A big mistake I made long ago was to give my front wheel cylinder to the parts store for core and a week later go to install them find out they were actually the back ones! By then the cores were gone and I was calling all around with little help. What I found on the 3/4 ton models is the front and rear wheel cylinders are the same except the front hose fittings are one size larger than the rear (which are easy to find) with the hard line fittings. I used adaptors for awhile but you only get about 2 threads. So when they leaked I finally got a brake supplier to look up hoses by length and fitting sizes instead of application.

I think this message belongs in the parts department. Another mistake to add to the list.

Carl
      aka the Viewmaster
      VCVC Vanatic Map --- 67 thru 70 Colorized Wiring Diagram - Colorized 1st Gen wiring Diagram

Comment

Working...
      X