View Full Version : no spark

11-07-2001, 01:39 PM
I can't get a spark. '68 250 6 banger, electric power is going to the coil and points/condenser just nothing coming out. Also I have some kind of short under the dash. I had to unhook all the fuses so my ingition switch didn't melt down fully (it started to). This is my first chey since my '57 belair in '79

11-07-2001, 03:14 PM
If you have power to the "+" side of the coil and you get no power out, then the problem is the coil.

Check the connections on the back of the ignition switch, they could just be touching. If not, check that the switch is working. Just run a hot wire to the switch and a test light out the other side to ground. If none of that reveals your problem then start tracing your wires back.

Good luck

11-08-2001, 06:52 PM
Are your points out of whack? Might be your problem. I check them when the are open and the cap is off with the key in the run position. Stick an insulated screwdriver (Flathead) in between there to see if you get a spark between them.


11-12-2001, 11:15 AM
i couldn't get spark in mine found ashort in wire from coil to distributor where it goes into distributor so it coudn't be seen good luck

11-13-2001, 12:47 AM
TacoVan had the same problem, one day it wouldn't start, no spark, the distrib wire was being pinched by the cap. -- TV

11-13-2001, 05:42 PM
I thought you were gonna say the little dog chewed the wiring...... http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

11-15-2001, 10:27 PM
Too bad that damn dog didn't bite it while it was running http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif Could you imagine the smell that it would have left? That would really be cool to witness.


[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited November 15, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited November 15, 2001).]

11-16-2001, 03:02 PM
Tony, you are a sick individual.

I admire that in a person.

12-04-2001, 07:41 PM
Hey thanks alot for the input. It was the wire to the distrib. I replaced it and the thi9ng fired right up and surprizing idled quite well after not being run in about 2 years
Thanks again

12-05-2001, 11:34 AM
The comment about the dog chewing the wiring reminds of an event a few years ago I had with the Christmas lights. I had spent all weekend putting up lights on the house and was excited to turn them on the first night. I plugged them in and saw that half of them weren't working. As I insected more closely, I noticed the dog had been chewing on the wiring. Well, my sadistic self was gonna fix that dog from chewing on them again. I fixed the chewed area, plugged in the lights and then showed the dog, who decided to take another bite. The jolt slightly stunned him and he never chewed on the Christmas lights again.

aka Bryan Corbitt
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

12-06-2001, 09:13 PM
Speaking of getting shocked buy the distributor, I was trying to time the motor and crank the motor at the same time. I just happened to touch the only wire that was not fully plugged in and sure enough, ZZZZAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!! I will not ever do that again.


12-07-2001, 06:55 AM
dont let P.E.T.A. find out about that dog thing....ha ha.