PDA

View Full Version : 350 swap

tonye66
05-13-2001, 06:51 PM
I would really like to put a 350 in my van. I do like the six cylinder but I want to upgrade to the 350 because of the availability of parts. A few questions though. Do I need to modify the whole doghouse? Can I still use the posi rear and the three speed? What else do I need to modify to do the transfer?

Tony

MadElf
05-13-2001, 09:21 PM
You have nothing to worry about. Take a look through the archives and you'll find many ways to do it. Remove the manifolds/headers and lower it in from the top, hoist it up from the bottom, or (if you want to get drastic) make the doghouse removable (temporarily or permanently).
You trans & other components should still wotk fine.
I've done the 350 swap & it was really a drop-in and bolt-up deal.
Good luck!

tonye66
05-13-2001, 09:30 PM
Thank you. I still want to know, does the flywheel and 3 speed work?

prostreet65
05-13-2001, 10:40 PM
They will work fine, Tony. The bellhousing
will fit the 350, as will the flywheel. The
flywheel from the 6 is probably the smaller
of the 2 that fit the 350, so you'll need the
correct v-8 starter. I think old 283's and
327's use that starter, it's the one with the
bolt holes straight across from each other
instead of diagonel like the newer ones. Don't forget to put in a pilot bushing if
your 350 had an automatic behind it.
Good luck, John

painterchris
05-13-2001, 11:06 PM
If your van is a 66, you will need to do something about the doghouse. You will never get a 350 in the original setup. Try to find a 67-70 junkyard van with a good rust free doghouse and use it. I t will require some work to make it fit and be careful to line it up properly so your radiator is far enough forward. Also, make sure you get the doghouse from a van that is set up for a v-8 or you will also have to customize the radiator mount. You will also need to custom fab some new seat mounts. To be honest, I don't really think you should attempt this yet. From some of your posts, it sounds like you are still a bit of a novice at auto repair and this is a pretty big job. People who claim it "isn't too bad" generally have years of experience working on cars, so it doesn't seem too bad. But, if you don't have much experience, you could end up running into a lot of problems. For example, you will need new motor mounts, radiator, and a custom throttle linkage. You run the risk of having major overheating problems if you aren't careful. Also, parts are readily available for any chevy six cylinder. If you want the V-8 for power, then go for it, but switching it out for reasons of part availability is silly. As a side note, GM has produced at least a dozen versions of the "350," so if you do switch it, you'd better know what vehicle it came from. If you really want to do it, go for it, but you should seriously weigh all the pros and cons first. You may want to wait until you learn a little more about your van before you try this.

tonye66
05-13-2001, 11:34 PM
It isn't so bad. I have done many engine pulls and installs in the past from V-8 vehicles, and I have pulled and installed transmissions and rearends while other pieces of the drivetrain were still in the car. Do not assume just because I am 16 that I am not well educated on matters such as this. I have had an extreme love for cars for as long as I can remember. I did my first oil change at 9 years old. I go to Junkyards on the weekends for fun. I even help the employees at the local junkyards pull parts out of cars. Even my teachers ask me for help on their cars when they are messed up. The only reason I have so much trouble with my van is because it is so new to me. I have never seen a van like the earlies let alone work on one. Sorry I am sounding so angry but quite a few people think I am young and naieve about cars.

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited May 13, 2001).]

painterchris
05-15-2001, 08:47 AM
Hey Tony, I didn't mean to insult you, so I apologize if I did. I just wanted to warn you that putting in a 350 will not simply be a matter of bolting it in. There are a lot of small details that can make the job a big hassle if you don't foresee them. You will definitely need to change the engine box to a later model, and that entails replacing the box itself, changing the seat mounting, engine mounts and radiator mounting. In my 64, I even had to reroute the e-brake cable and setup a custom throttle cable rig. It's not a small job. Unless you have a lot of help, it will probably not be something you can do in a single weekend. Plus, you may end up running into problems with the exhaust headers being too wide or some other silly thing that you can't predict until you actually try to do it. I just wanted to warn you about this because some of the other posts make it sound like you can just slide a 350 into your 66 with minimal effort and this really isn't true.
Later,
Andy

MoonJoe
05-16-2001, 07:10 PM
Cheer up Tony! Theres other jobs out there, just like chicks. One doesn't work out- move on to the next. Summers coming and it's a good time to be alive. Just keep your head up and don't look back. Besides I'd kill to be 16, pissed off and jobless! Joe

greyfoxmc
05-17-2001, 07:03 AM
I`ll second that motion.....Mike

smiley
05-17-2001, 10:12 AM
I angry because I'm not 16 and jobless.

[This message has been edited by smiley (edited May 17, 2001).]

tonye66
05-17-2001, 11:24 PM
I deleted the post about me losing my job because I now make more than double minimum wage (what I had made at the other job) Taking TV's to and from a repair shop. I got my first speeding ticket today because I rushed home to tell my parents. I was clocked at 70 mph in second gear on a busy street...........in the middle left turn lane for 5 blocks.

Tony

MoonJoe
05-19-2001, 10:29 AM
Ouch!!
Are you like an ambulance driver for dying tv's? Try not to lane snake, alot of accidents happen that way. You don't to risk losing the job on a pulled license either. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif