PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator cable?

Rossstan
12-07-2001, 05:43 PM
Has anyone replaced the original accerator linkage with a cable? Seems like a natural thing to do. I ask because I would like to do it before I put my radiator back in, and not have to deal with that piece of linkage that goes through the radiator mounting bracket.
Maybe a complete pedal and cable assembly from Summit or something.

Vanner68
12-07-2001, 07:38 PM
The Coonpoop van has a dune buggy style pedal in it, but seeing as how the previous owner never got the van on the road I have no idea how well it works.

prostreet65
12-09-2001, 12:06 AM
I saw one in Jeg's for $35. It looks like
a floor mounted aluminum pedal, comes with
a 4' cable. I think it was made by Mr.
Gasket, can't find my catalog right now.
Hope that helps...
~John~

vanparts
12-09-2001, 04:37 PM
I used a pedal from a 1978 chevy van and it worked real good.

Yeggster
12-30-2001, 12:13 AM
Yes.....I swapped in a 350 in my 66.

I could not geta cable set up long enough around here......so i ended up makeing my own gas pedal from a gate hinge and used a $3 surplus cable.......It's huge almost 1/8" diameter the cable houseing out side is over 5/16".

i works fine every day for two years or so.....

Yeggster

pat69chevan
12-30-2001, 02:22 PM
prostreet65 has the right idea, i just purchased a pedal from speedway motors, i consulted with my st.louisian amigo"warlock" about my gas pedal problem and he stated to me that when i buy my pedal, it comes with a 48 inch cable and connectors. warlock stated to me that you need a 72 inch cable to do the job. specify to the order person that you want to substitute the 48 inch cable with a 72 inch cable, i believe that it is a four dollar difference on the price, i believe the total was $45. warlock has the pedal in his van and it works great!!!!!

later

pat

Rossstan
01-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Fantastic answers. I will do the easiest thing. I think that would be speedway. But I don't know what "speedway motors" is. Does it have a web site, or a catalog, or at least a phone number?
Thanks a lot.
Ross, in Boulder CO

pat69chevan
01-15-2002, 11:29 AM
hey ross, i am not sure if they have a website, i will look at my catalog and reply tommorrow, sorry about the wait.

pat

chevy van 5150
01-24-2002, 12:05 PM
Here are some other sources for cable throttle setups www.jegs.com (http://www.jegs.com) or www.SummitRacing.com (http://www.SummitRacing.com) My Favorite is a place here in CA called PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse) they have free shipping and a catalog thats almost 1200 pages of parts engine kits etc. they have all the brackets, pedals, and different length cables. The phone number is (805)778-1694 they have 4 locations here in SO. CAL. Hope this helps......

AzDon
02-05-2002, 09:55 AM
I swapped a Big-Block into a 66 van in the late seventies, and I recall that there really isnt enough legroom for an aftermarket throttle. What I did was use a Morse marine cable and fittings, available from places like Glenwood Marine, Rex Marine, Eddie Marine, or just about any other marine supply. They have trick, ball-and-socket end fittings and cable-holding fork brackets and can be used in "push" mode just as the stock throttle assembly is designed to do. Links to these marine dealers can be found on my website at www.v-driveboat.com (http://www.v-driveboat.com) by looking in the resources section

chevy van 5150
02-06-2002, 10:47 PM
I know what you're saying AzDon, I think that the morse cable is the way to go, that way I can still use my stock pedal. There's a place here that can custom make them any length. I have them all over my boat they last forever.

------------------
chevy van 5150
aka: Paul captpaul@vlnk.net
"Adventure Van"
1969 G-10 / 90

"The Organ Donor"
1969 G-10 / 108 parts Van

gregw98
03-03-2002, 08:16 PM
Just about any motorcycle shop can make you a cble to the length you need. Most Harley shops can do this. Route an old piece of coax cable (from the back of your tv set)just like you were going to ues it to get your correct length.
Greg

Warlock
03-04-2002, 01:18 AM
Summit and Jegs have the same peddal assy and you need the longest cable assy that they make which is 72 inches. PAW also sells this settup which is in my van and it works great!

pat69chevan
03-04-2002, 02:00 AM
WARLOCK IS RIGHT!!! I HAVE SEEN HIS AND IT IS SMOOTH ACTION AND DOESNT STICK LIKE THE OLD PEDAL, IF ONLY I GOT TIME AWAY FROM STUDYING, I MAY BE ABLE TO FINISH HOOKING MINE UP!!!!! CRAP!!!

LATER

PAT

solid side 65
03-04-2002, 08:43 PM
I tried the aftermarket pedal and cable setup the first time around. The pedal was too steep of an angle for me with the stock floor slope. The plastic liner in the cable also melted and bound up. So I went with the Morse cable, mounts and fittings from a marine dealer. It worked so well that later when I swapped in a tilt column I used another Morse cable for the shifter. I was able to retain the stock pedal. Mine pushes the carb linkage from the front, shortest distance from the pedal. Here's a pic it's the red cable hanging from the black bracket off the thermostat housing.
www.vcvc.org/c65c7.html (http://www.vcvc.org/c65c7.html)