PDA

View Full Version : Damned fuel lines!!!!!!!!!!!

tonye66
03-25-2001, 09:35 PM
The fuel lines to the carb in the 66 cross over the valve cover which makes it impossible to remove the cover with the leaky gasket. How would I go about removing the fuel lines without breaking them? I've got the gasket for the valve cover and I would like to change it A.S.A.P. so could anyone help?

thanks,

Tony

ahighdiver
03-26-2001, 02:11 PM
Why don't you replace the steel fuel line with rubber at the top. If heat is an issue you can use a braided stainless. Just keep the line off the valve cover.

tonye66
03-26-2001, 08:58 PM
How would i go about changing the hard line into braided line? what auto part store sells these parts? I am in the market for a new carb any way. What type of 1 bbl. carb do i have? it is the 230 with a hand choke. any info would help.

thanks,

Tony

ahighdiver
03-26-2001, 09:59 PM
You can call around to hose makers ( in some auto parts stores) and ask if they will make you one with steel ends or you can buy a kit to make your own braided cover and use barbed ends.
You will have to look at the carb to see if it is a Rochester or a Carter, most likly a Rochester B series. Is the bowl square? then its a Carter. The Rochester is better if you have a good one. Many suffer from too many rebuilds and idle bad.
If you have the money buy a Holley 2300 series (280 cfm). You can look at parts at
Clifford http://www.cliffordperformance.com/main.htm
think about headers too. Headers will sound sweet getting on the freeway.
Van On.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ahighdiver (edited March 26, 2001).]

tonye66
03-27-2001, 09:50 PM
well I pullled it off today. After a good cleaning, I discovered that it was a Carter YF. I pulled it apart and cleaned all of the surfaces. I put the old gaskets back in only i added some tube gasket on them to seal them up. I hope it helped as a temporary fix until I can afford a new one. after school tomorrow I will put it back into the car and post the results in a few days.

tonye66
03-27-2001, 09:53 PM
oh yeah, I also replaced the valve cover gasket (which was dried out cork) with the carb off so it is no longer a problem.

painterchris
03-28-2001, 07:39 AM
IMPORTANT:

NEVER, I repeat, NEVER put gasket sealant on carburetor gaskets. The gasoline will eat it until pieces of it fall into the float bowl. These pieces will eventually gum up the jets, making your carburetor useless and hard to fix. I speak from experience. I even used a gasket sealant that was supposed to be approved for gas seals, but it didn't work. Most gasket sealants are not approved for gasoline seals and they will degrade rapidly. You need to take that carb apart and clean all of the gasket sealant off ASAP. You will also need a rebuild kit, since you ruined the original gaskets. Just in case you missed it: NEVER EVER EVER PUT GASKET SEALANT ON A CARBURETOR!
Later,
Andy.

Vanner68
03-28-2001, 03:17 PM
He's right- I once had a stack of Holley 4 barrels that were given to me by various people that were all plugged up with gasket sealer. The carbs, that is, not sure about the people. Total junk. even soaking them in a drum of carb cleanr for a week didn't get it all out.

tonye66
03-28-2001, 09:46 PM
Well guys, I dont need to worry anymore because I just ordered a remaufactured carter carb (that I think was a Holley II?) for under 100 bucks off of the internet along with a new speedo cable. But thanks for the input. Irealized why the car had a sort of shake while idleing, it was only running on 5 cylinders. Apparently, the 6th cylinder had a broken terminal at the top and wasn't working for some time. With the new carb and the tune-up, It will purr like a kitten. Now, only for the body work so that it will look like a kitten too.

Thanks,

Tony

ahighdiver
03-28-2001, 10:05 PM
Tony;
Give me that part about the idle again.
Even though I have the Rochester I have the same thing at idle. I plan to replace the carb
but what did you mean about the broken terminal at the top. I have replaced the distributor cap. Please post the link to the carb on line.
thanks
David

[This message has been edited by ahighdiver (edited March 28, 2001).]

LuckyChucky
03-29-2001, 01:20 AM
Here is a company that I purchased a NEW carburetor from: Carburetor Engineering Co.
3324 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 795-3221
They were very nice and said that they have a lot of old NEW stock. It was about a year ago that I got mine for my 66 chevy van. Let me know your results.

tonye66
03-29-2001, 03:27 PM
Sorry, I mustn't have been thinking when I wrote it. I meant the spark plug itself was broken at the top. I replaced it and it ran a lot smoother. Check the plug.

Thanks,

Tony

tonye66
04-03-2001, 03:04 PM
THOSE MORONS SENT ME A ROCHESTER IN PLACE OF A CARTER! WILL THE ROCHESTER WORK OR DO I HAVE TO RETURN IT?

THANKS,
TONY

ahighdiver
04-05-2001, 10:52 PM
I think I just figured out what my carb trouble is. I know that the airhorn is warped because even after rebuilding it fuel leaked out between the bowl and the airhorn. And every time I come to a stop the idle will fluctuate. The idle speed will increase. It floods out often when I'm parked for five to thirty minutes and is always hard to start but does better sometimes. The idle is always rough. With the airhorn warped gas would spill over into the throat and cause the idle to go up. and the vacuum in the throat would suck small amounts of gas into the throat. And it would be rich at idle.
Right Smiley ?
By the by did you get my photos ? I found photos of my other vans.
David.

[This message has been edited by ahighdiver (edited April 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ahighdiver (edited April 05, 2001).]

smiley
04-06-2001, 07:22 AM
If you are speaking of the photos you emailed a week or so ago, yes I received them. I just got my home computer up again and have a lot of photos to post. I hope I can get some done this weekend.