PDA

View Full Version : simplified V8 Swap

MadElf
08-13-2000, 12:13 AM
While undertaking the very cool step of putting a rebuilt 350 in my 69 GMC to replace the old, knocking 6 banger I've been fighting with for far too long, a wonderful thing happened. Looking back, it's probably sort of a no-brainer, but I thought it was inspired. My friendly neighborhood mechanic pointed out that it really wasn't neccessary to jack the van half a mile in the air to manhandle the engine in from underneath. Follwing his suggestion, the spot welds that held the "dog house" or engine enclosure in place were drilled out and the big metal box was removed, along with the seats of course.
It was then quite easy to hoist the old engine out and swing the new one in.
Now the best part is, the doghouse was not re-welded when it was put back, but was fastened in with heavy screws. (This may need to be upgraded to bolts or some sort of hinge/pin system, we'll see how it goes.) So now if I need to do some major engine tinkering, I can easily yank the seats and doghouse back out & have plenty of elbow room.
And the 350... dropped in like it was made to go there. It's a '74 out of a Chevy pick-up and it dropped in without a hitch, headers and all. I should have done this a long time ago.
Now...for the radiator.
Cal

Vanner68
08-13-2000, 12:59 PM
Cool solution, aids in spark plug removal too, BUT.....I have done about a half dozen engine swaps in my earlies, and have never had to cut anything. If you remove the exhaust manifolds and valve covers, the engine will just fit thru the doghouse opening. I usually pick it thru the cargo doors, although it would go thru passenger door just as well.