View Full Version : gas sending unit

06-03-2001, 12:19 PM
does anyone know if the gas sending unit for a 65 is the same as the 67? My guage always reads completely full, but when I shut off the van it goes all the way down. I think it is the sending unit or it is grounded out somewhere. Do you think I'm right? I can order a 67 sending unit. Will this work?

06-03-2001, 01:07 PM
Pete, can you tell me where to get the sending unit if it does work? I need to do the same for my tank. Thanks, Joe.

06-03-2001, 01:51 PM
Pete, drop the gas tank, remove the wire to the sending unit and with the key in the on position(van not running).

If the gauge goes to full with the wire not grounded then you have a short and should just run a new wire.

If not, ground out the wire to the frame and check the gauge. Now it should read full.

If it is the sending unit, pull it out and have a look (I haven't had mine out) you might be able to the contacts on the reostat. You can use spray on contact cleaner or if you can access the copper bits a piece of fine grit sand paper.

Good luck

06-03-2001, 11:08 PM
The sending units are the same. I just took 3 of them apart today to get 1 good one. The 64 I'm working on hasn't been on the road for 30 years, it still had 3 gallons of the smellyist crap in the tank the screen was plugged the float shot and the connecting strap to wire connect broken. I yanked the tank off my 67 I didn't know it was full! It was heavy. That one had float sunk and the tube rusted off the top it had a plastic screen. I took tank out of 65 it was empty but the sender tube had rust hole in it, but a good float and good metal screen. So I used the tube from the 64 after I got the screen of I had to drill the varnish out of it I used the screen and float from the 65 and the sender guts from the 67. I noticed that only the 64 had the cast iron counter weight. I made some gas tank straps out of polished stainless steel those originals rust thru too easy here in the rust zone. Dan


06-04-2001, 05:01 PM
I did kinda the same thing, except my tubes were rusted off on both senders. I bent up a piece of 5/16" brake line to mach the original, cut the sender off of the old tube and soldered it to the new one and soldere the hole mess to the mount. I then pop-riveted and soldered a ground wire to the sender so I would have a solid ground connection. It works very well, thank you!

06-05-2001, 10:29 PM
I had to upsize mine for the thirsty motor. I went to 3/8 tubing, and instead of running it down to that little sump, I angled it back toward the rear of the tank to take adVANtage of a phenomenon known as "ullage" (NASA term). Also, my float was sunk (cracked), so I adapted a Stewart Warner float I had sitting around. --- TV