PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank sending unit

painterchris
10-04-2001, 03:00 PM
Hey,
My fuel tank sending unit is dead. Does the JC Whitney replacement unit work in the van tank? If not, is this an easy to get part?

Later,
Andy.

tomschaner
10-04-2001, 06:21 PM
painter chris according to my jc whitney catalog on page 120 it calls out an adjustable fuel tank float switch.item #13bs2950r.cost is $14.95.says it works for all gm vehicles.with 0-90 ohm resistance.will work on all tanks 6"-24"inch deep.in other words looks like it will fit the van.their # is 1 800 529-4486.seems like i learned something new today.guess your in luck.tom

painterchris
10-04-2001, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I know the catalog SAYS it will work, but I want to know if anyone has actually used it? I don't want to shell out $15 ($20 with shipping), go to the trouble of dropping my fuel tank only to find that it doesn't work. Plus, by that point, I will have managed to get the thing dirty which means I won't be able to return it. So, if anyone out there has successfully insy\talled one of these units, please let me know.

Thanx,
Andy.

69G20
10-05-2001, 01:47 AM
I been there and bought one from JCW, and the gas tank treatment thinking that if I was going to bother to do it I'd do it right.
The tank was in good shape but the sending unit would not work mostly since the fuel line is in the same assembly so I dis assembled the old unit and just used a scotch-brite pad on the contact area, and metered it and reassembled. This worked fine for a few months and I'm having problems again.
I think that the next time I get near it again I would use some laquer thinner and do a better job.
Good-Luck
Carl

painterchris
10-05-2001, 07:32 AM
AHA! That's what I thought. I somehow just KNEW it was too good to be true. Thanx for the info,
Andy.

69G20
10-06-2001, 06:52 PM
Are you saying that your are psycho er psychic?

BZ
10-08-2001, 01:55 PM
FWIW: My gauge would not work, always showed empty, pulled the tank and sending unit, the float had a pin hole in it and had filled with gas. Replaced the float and it worked fine.
BZ

TurboVan
10-09-2001, 12:09 AM
I had the same problem, except my float was full of cracks.
I used a Stewart-Warner float that was left over from a boat sender.
At the same time, I increased the siphon tube size to 3/8 inch to help feed the thirsty turbo motor. --- TV

Tnicean
10-09-2001, 05:27 PM
Check to see if your sending unit is really dead before you buy one. Mine (1969 108) had quit working so I pulled the tank, took it out and cleaned it up and attached a ground wire to the unit to check it before I reassembled. I moved the float and with with ignition switch in the on position, I observed the needle position on the guage. Worked fine after the cleanup. If I remember correctly, the is a grounding wire running from the sending unit to the frame crossmember. Of course, make sure you have power going to the sending unit, if you haven't done that already. I know I have a tendancy to think the worst (and most expensive) fix is going to be required. Never hurts to check all possibilities.

painterchris
10-09-2001, 09:29 PM
I plan on checking EVERYTHING before pulling the gastank out. I've already dropped the tank out twice and I really don't enjoy doing it very much. Plus, since my gauge isn't working, I have no way of knowing how much gas will be in it when I try to drop it out. That could make the job even more difficult. I plan to test the gauge with a potentiomater I borrowed from work. Then, I plan to check the ground and make sure everything is working except the float.

Thanx for the advice though. I once spent an hour trying to figure out why my old 73 Ford van (now long gone) wouldn't start. Turns out, it was out of gas. Oops. Always check the simple things first.

Later,
Andy.

BZ
10-10-2001, 07:38 AM
I drained my tank recently to remove. The way i did it was to put a hose about 4 feet long in the tank, put other end in a plastic tank outside, take a air hose and nozzle, insert nozzle into the filler neck, pack rags around it, forcing air into tank will push gas out.
worked great.
BZ

Vanner68
10-10-2001, 05:48 PM
I have a small Stewart Warner universal electric fuel pump that I use to suck gas out of cars, motorcycles, my lawnmower, etc.
I got mine from a junk car but they can be bought new for around 30 bucks. Safe and beats a mouthful of gas!

painterchris
10-10-2001, 09:47 PM
Does your local law enforcement agency know about this? Or do you restrict your gas siphoning to your own vehicles? http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif
Andy.

Vanner68
10-11-2001, 04:38 PM
Of course my own vehicles........7 vans and 3 motorcycles, and I lost count of all the Briggs&Stratton powered stuff......
Takes all week just to catalog em.

vannman67
10-15-2001, 11:17 PM
I've got a new question regarding the fuel tank sending unit. I just dropped the tank on my '67 and was going to clean it up and recondition the inside before attempting to put fresh fuel in. I'm a bit confused as to how the sending unit comes out. It's not screwed in like I thought it would be. Instead it appears to be pressed or locked in place. Does any one know how to get it out without destroying it? Also, I'm a little surprised at how small the tank is. Looks like it only holds about 12 gallons. Has anyone installed a larger tank in thier van and if so, what did it come out of.

Thanks.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

gotavan
10-16-2001, 03:55 PM
The sending unit is held in with a lock ring. There is a special tool for removing these, but a couple of screwdrivers and a hammer work great, clean out the dirt first and look carefully to make sure you turn it the right direction. The sending unit itself does not turn ,it has a tab to orient it to the tank hole. There should be an O-ring between the sender and the tank. good luck ,Dan

------------------
gotavan

TurboVan
10-20-2001, 12:00 AM
The gas gauge has not worked in the `69 (TacoVan) since I bought it.
Checked underneath and sure enuff, the ground wire was disco'd.
(Apparently they dropped the tank to bolt the bench seat to the floor)
Stoked, I hooked it to the frame and headed to the gas station. (I'd been keeping the tank almost empty in anticipation of dropping it) Put in five gallons, and the gauge read quarter full.
But after about two minutes it was back at empty again. BUMMER!!
The float has a hole in it. Keeping the tank near empty (I actually started running out about a block from the gas station) allowed the float to drain out, then when the gas went in, it immediately started filling up and sank. Oh Well! --- TV

TurboVan
10-20-2001, 12:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanner68:
Of course my own vehicles........7 vans and 3 motorcycles, and I lost count of all the Briggs&Stratton powered stuff......
Takes all week just to catalog em.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aaahh, B&S, that brings back a lot of memories! My very first engines. First thing to go was the governor, with predictable results:
I remember holding a running three-horse in my hands, revving it up, when it threw a rod, startling me so bad I dropped it!
Then there was my twin five-horse go-kart, with Mikuni's, billet rods, and straight pipes. Perfect for terrorizing the neighborhood when Mom and Dad were gone.
Pull it in the garage just before the cops show up. Burnouts on the wet garage floor and the front lawn. Experiments with alky and nitro in the mini-bikes. Porting and relieving. Yes, Briggs's were my life until I was old enough to drive a car. --- TV