PDA

View Full Version : Help with king pin specs!

Scott
04-22-2001, 06:50 PM
I just purchased my '66 and I desperately need the king pin play spec as the fellow inspecting it won't pass it in current condition. Unless, of course, I find that it really is within spec as I believe. I've only got about 1/32" or so. I really am desperate, if you have a spec book please help me out.

Thanks

sambowie
04-22-2001, 07:32 PM
I looked in my book, and found this, 7 degrees, 10'. It said King pin inclination.

Scott
04-22-2001, 08:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sambowie:
I looked in my book, and found this, 7 degrees, 10'. It said King pin inclination.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, but I'm looking for amount of vertical wabble when the front wheels are suspended and rocked up and down. I expect the number is something between 0-0.250" or 0-2mm.

tomschaner
04-22-2001, 10:00 PM
this is the only spec i was able to find in the chassis service manual.this is the complete content.place a jack under the steering knuckle and raise yoke,axle end and thrust bearing or washers.check clearance between upper face of axle end and knuckle upper yoke.on 2200-4000-5000-7000# models,if this clearance exceeds .005,add shims as necessary to bring clearance below this spec.on 9000#-11000# models if this clearance exceeds .015 add shims as required to obtain a clearance of .003-.008.they are calling this checking steering knuckle free play.not sure if this will help with your stuation.

Yeggster
04-22-2001, 10:27 PM
Scott.......there shound be no percivable play in the king pins.......1/32" is pretty loose.......the king pins are suported by derilin bushings top and bottom....the derilin is probably worn out.

It's a big job getting them out......but I'm pretyty sure the busings are still made so it won't be too much for parts to fix it.......lot's of labour though.

If you know where there is a van with a good front end thats a pretty easy swap......just switch the whole thing

Yeggster

[This message has been edited by Yeggster (edited April 22, 2001).]

Scott
04-22-2001, 11:09 PM
Thanks,
The job should only take about 3 hours. I'll have a look for just bushings, but I've had a hard time finding King Pins. Usually they were sold as a package, bushings and all. It's not a lot of money, just finding what I need.

vannman67
04-23-2001, 02:54 PM
Hey, I've redone the bushings on my 67 twice. The first time I did them I got a new set and just installed them. I didn't really lose the slop in the front end. The second time I had them redone I removed the axle and took it to a machine shop where the axle holes were bored out and brass sleeves were pressed in place. This improved the slop some, but a little slop still remains. I think kits are available with brass bushings too.

smiley
04-23-2001, 03:07 PM
While it may not be the cheapest route, most suspension shop will fabricate new king pins for you. In addition, I've heard that brass bushings are the way to go.

Scott
04-23-2001, 05:33 PM
Thank you all,

I've decided I'll spin myself up some brass bushings. This looks like the most positive option and will take nearly no time.

Scott

solid side 65
04-23-2001, 09:37 PM
Iíve had a Moog brass kingpin set in for several years and I like it better than the GM Delrin sets (P/N 3928439) Iíd installed before. The Moog part #ís are 8494B for the brass or 8494N for the nylon or plastic OEM type bushings. I took the spindles into the auto parts-machine shop where I bought the set. They pressed in the bushings and honed them to match the new kingpins. Itís really a sweet deal. A while back I saw them listed under a 68 or 69 G10 on carparts.com I believe.

bostonvan
04-24-2001, 08:01 AM
I got a kingpin set with bushings from a place in called ESPO Springs N' Things."www.espo.com" They have a website and list a few parts for our vans. However, I havent actually put the new pins in yet, so I can't say for sure that they are correct.
Tim S.

ahighdiver
04-24-2001, 11:12 PM
Hey Scott; In my 1970 Motors Truck repair manual under chevrolet Wheel alignment specifications,
it says,
Chevy Van, 1966,
Caster, degrees + 3 1/3
Camber, degrees - 1 1/2
Toe in, inches 1/16 to 1/8
King Pin inclination, degrees 7 1/6
I hope that helps.
Highdiver.

vannman67
04-26-2001, 11:29 AM
It's funny how some things are still available for these old vans and some things aren't. For instance, I couldn't find the correct tie rod ends for my van over a six year search. People would tell me that a particular end would work, but it didn't. I finally found my tie rod ends through a place called rareparts.com They even fabricated a centerlink for me. Only drawback was the price, about 425 bucks. But, I don't have to worry about poor steering anymore.

Just my .02 cents

Scott
05-03-2001, 11:13 PM
Finished installing new king pins. Ok, so it wasn't 3 or 4 hours. More like 7 or 8. Getting out one pin was a major pain, I had to get a hold of a big bushing puller and I must have had 350 lbs of torque on it before the pin moved. And the reaming of the pins takes a couple hours time.

However, the whole new package cost me CAN$56 so it was sure worth it.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

nogoodboyo
05-04-2001, 05:23 PM
Scott... I've got to replace my kingpins now.
Where'd you find such cheap replacements? I'm in Vancouver and I'm broke.

Scott
05-04-2001, 08:05 PM
I got mine from a local place. I ordered just the bushing set, which they said they could get and when they arrived it was the whole kit so they gave them to me for the price of just the bushings. I got lucky. They price on the kit was $99. Just call around and see who can bring them in or someone probably has in Van..

But don't do them yourself unless you have a background in machining or mechanics or have a really nice friend with a 25/32"-27/32" reamer and a serious puller.

Good luck