PDA

View Full Version : no charge to battery

MadElf
09-18-2001, 08:13 PM
Here's a new one.
My van has stopped charging the battery.
New alternator, new regulator, rebuilt the ragged looking connectors on the wiring...
Still no charge.
Anyone have any ideas?
I'm all out.
HELP! Thanks!

64vanatic
09-18-2001, 08:54 PM
madelf,

Just becuase it's new doesn't make it a good part. Todays parts don't have the quality of the older ones. I have had more than one NEW alternator that wouldn't produce a charge. If you have the tools to check them yourself do that first. If not take them back to the store to have them tested.

'64

MadElf
09-18-2001, 09:04 PM
Been there, done that.
The alternator is good.
I should be able to get the alternator to charge without the regulator by disconnecting it (not a good practice without a volt meter I guess, but a way to check things.
I can't get a charge, no how.
Looking over the wiring diagram posted on this site, I noticed a fusible link noted at the hot connection to the starter. I'll have to check that tomorrow.

painterchris
09-18-2001, 10:17 PM
Personally, I would be suspicious of the voltage regulator. I went thru half a dozen of them in the past 2 years. Some of them never worked from day one (I bought those at Advance Auto and I'm convinced that they were just empty metal boxes). I finally threw down $45 for a voltage regulator at a reputable parts store and I haven't had any trouble since.

ahighdiver
09-18-2001, 11:38 PM
Check your ground cable at the frame. If a system is good but not charging that can be only one thing. Ground fault. And the regualtor must be grounded too. Make a pig tail and put it under the cover screw of the regulator and to a self tapping screw on the regulator bracket.
HD

Vanner68
09-19-2001, 04:37 PM
All in all, good reasons to upgrade to a one wire alternator.

tonye66
09-19-2001, 08:07 PM
It could be a bad cell in the battery. Have you Jumped a lot cars recently? Just checking.

Tony

MadElf
09-20-2001, 11:02 AM
Got it!
It looks like it was that line from the starter to the alternator/regulator. After I bypassed that whole section and ran new wires, everything works.
So.. after 16, or so, hours of labor... a new alternator... a new regulator... rebuilding the connectors to the alternator and the regulator... it all came down to one bad wire.
Some days....
Thanks for all the help, guys!

partyvanbeagles
09-22-2001, 09:56 AM
Good work MadElf. The experience gained through the process will benefit you, or someone else, down the road when other electrical "gremlins" come knocking.

bellvan
09-22-2001, 08:45 PM
i gave up on them voltage regulators a while ago,did the alt swap and that was that.....if you look back in the message bord thares some great advice for the regulaters(i dont remember who wrote it)but he said"take a big hammer and smash it to pieses" ha ha