PDA

View Full Version : kingpin to brass bushing clearance?

wildbill
04-02-2002, 04:38 PM
i'm in the process of rebuilding the front axle on my 66. after reviewing past post on the subject , i have found most of the info i need. i think solidside 65 said he had a machine shop hone the brass bushings after they were pressed in the spindles. does anyone know how much clearance they allow over the diameter of the kingpins for proper greasing? also, has anyone tried anything besides poly bushings, like teflon or delrine for spring eye bushings? i'm also going to do an axle over leaf when i put everything back to get the drop i need in the front. has anyone done this, and if so , what problems can i expect to have. any and all info is greatly appreciated.
wild bill http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Scott
04-02-2002, 05:36 PM
There should only be .001'or less clearance for the bushing. Tight. I did mine myself because I have access to the right tools. The brass bearings are the best, the others have a shorter life span. The ones you bought are probably gusher bearings. Which means that grease will litterally penetrate/impregnate through the bearing ensuring that the bearing is always well lubricated.

vannman67
04-02-2002, 06:14 PM
I've also been considering the options for lowering the front of my van. I've got a 1967 Sportvan. I thought about removing a couple of the front leaf springs and putting shorter tires on. I figure I can get about 3/4" by taking two springs off and another 1" with shorter tires. I looked at the spring under axle possibility and figure this could be done fairly easily, but may screw up the steering geometry somewhat. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience?

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"