PDA

View Full Version : Wiring harness routing

TurboVan
10-28-2001, 09:54 PM
The wiring harness in the `69 comes out the left side of the doghouse, under the driver's seat, and goes along the floor (under the floormat) inside a plastic shield up to the front.
My `65 harness goes under the floor instead.
Is this normal? --- TV

skip-e
10-29-2001, 05:09 AM
My 67 runs under the mat in a plastic channel as well.

schwim
10-29-2001, 11:40 AM
Hi TV,

My '65 has the harness running around the left side of the box, around the radiator, and UNDER the van. I can't vouch for authenticity, but it does have what looks to be the origional harness connector by the carb.

HTH,
Jason

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

64vanatic
10-29-2001, 09:21 PM
Hey TV,

My '64 runs the same way that jasons doe's on the inside of the engine house and under. Mine is for sure origional and needs replacing. there is to much heat off the motor for it and it has melted the harness connections. Maybe that is why they changed it in later models.

Troy

painterchris
10-29-2001, 10:26 PM
Your wiring harnesses (harni?) are original. The 64-66 models had the harness run througha hole in the floor under the dash, under the floor, past the radiator and along the inside of the doghouse. The main harness connector by the carb had one half made of black plastic (probably bakelite) and the other half made of a translucent plastic (probably a linoleum plastic). The translucent piece almost always decomposes (which is more backup for my linoleum theory). I replaced mine with some connectors I bought at radio shack.

The 67-70 models had the wiring harness run along the radiator tunnel in a plastic channel, under the seat and thru a hole in the doghouse. I think the folks at GM probably decided that running the main artery for the electrical system under the van where road debris could kill it just might not be a good idea.

Later,
Andy.

TurboVan
10-30-2001, 10:13 PM
I know what you mean about the connector.
Mine looks like someone attacked it with a machete. Somehow, it still conducts electricity, but some day it's going to catch up to me. The wires are so crispy I'm afraid to put the new connectors on them.
Remember what happened to TV when my water pump shaft broke at the top of first gear? (see: "We need more stories")
That wouldn't have happened with the newer style harness.
Thanks, everyone, for the info. ---TV