PDA

View Full Version : not getting fuel

65dream
10-15-2001, 01:30 PM
here the order of things i did changed my fuel filter ,the van would not start put anew fuel pump on van would not start i kept line from pump to the line to got to the carb undone no fuel was coming out, goyt under the van disconected the filter seemed like there was no gas even made it up to there unhooked the hose going to gas tank very little gas came pouring out and i have atleast 5 gallons of gas iin there van will not start. any one know what is going on thanks alot from frank.

tonye66
10-15-2001, 02:13 PM
It sounds like there is a plug in the line between the fuel filter and the tank. pull the tank and sending unit and clean the crap out of both. Then, hook it all back up and fill up the tank a bit and try again.If still nothing, replace the section of line b/w the tank and the filter.

Tony

65dream
10-15-2001, 06:47 PM
yeah its weird the van was running before i changed the filter ,weird conicendence i guess, but this is a old van. thanks, frank

tonye66
10-15-2001, 07:12 PM
Crap happens like this to newer vehicles all the time. My Beretta ran out of gas and the computer went. I don't see what happened to cause that, but the car does have 174,000 miles on it.

Tony

Vanner68
10-15-2001, 09:28 PM
Tony, when you drive that Beretta do you have to have a Cockatoo on your shoulder?
Er, you may be too young to get that....
65dream- try (temporarily) dropping a hose from the suction side of the pump into a gas can and see if it will start. If not you may have crud in the line to carb or fuel pumup cam is worn out. If it starts, you may have pinholes in the fuel line and it's sucking air. The problem showed up when you changed the filter because you broke the vacuum so to speak and the fuel drained back into the tank. With pinholes in the line you can't get enough suction to pull fuel from the tank.

65dream
10-16-2001, 01:21 PM
thanks vanner68 ill try that after i get off work today, if the lines are bad how much would it be to replace those lines iam not a mechanic at all so i would have to take it to one is that what you want to do is replace them altogether, thanks again, frank

bellvan
10-16-2001, 08:38 PM
this is embarising to say...but all yall vaners can get a chuckle outa token mistakes.
for the longest time i was used to V8`s im not realy a mechanic..more of an experienced parts replacer.so anyway when it came time to change the fuel pump on the 6 cyl,i didnt give the swap much thought.when i got the van ,the previous owner put on an electric fuel pump.whenthat went bad i asumed the regular fuel pump had gone bad,so i got a new one...put it on JUST LIKE THE OLD ONE WAS MOUNTED!!!.......duh,i realised a day latter that thare was nothing wrong with the original pump...the guy just wanted an electric pump on the van....so he hooked it up.......and fliped the original pump upsidedown so it wouldent do any unessisary damage to the crank...like i said,i was used to v8s so it looked normal at the time.
oh well,hope ya got a laugh outa that one
keep pluging away at the van...it could be quite simple : )
take care
Rusty

Tnicean
10-16-2001, 11:30 PM
Hi 65Dream,
As Vanner68 said, you need to check to see if the fuel pump is pumping. Putting a hose from the fuel pump intake into a gas can full of gas should give you the answer. If it pulls gas from the can, then work your way on back to the tank. You may be able to see the problem if you inspect the lines closely. Look for any wet/discolored spots along the frame rail. Good luck. I have changed many fuel pumps. I put a chrome non-vented gas cap on my '69 108 and the fuel pumps (I don't remember how many, ... 3 or 4)sucked the tank nearly together. (I sometimes wondered about that "whoose" when I opened the cap.) Finally I ran out of gas when the guage registered half a tank. I took the tank off and took the sending unit/pick-up tube out. It was bent up like a U and could only get to half a tank of gas. The flexing fnally got to the tank, too and it got a hairline crack that I battle periodcally with epoxy. All for the sake of the shiny gas cap...at least I have a vented one now...live and learn, right? I thought I was getting bad pumps, but after I realized what was happening, I had to admit, those little pumps pumped their hearts out and sucked my tank together.
Tnicean

65dream
10-17-2001, 01:37 AM
uh oh for the 3 month ive owned this van it was making the gas cap noise two finally thanks to HD,i was told to put a vented one on. i ll let you guys know what happens, thanks from frank

Scott
10-19-2001, 11:14 PM
I just drilled a 1/32" hole in cap as a quick fix and haven't got around to putting a new one on. Hasn't caused me any trouble ,so what the hell?

MadElf
10-20-2001, 09:22 AM
The original gas caps for these vans (and the pick-ups incidentally) are unvented.
A vented gas gap is more of a convenience thing from what I understand. It prevents whooshing noises and the possibility of gas spitting back at you.
My van's been running with a non-vented cap since '97 (who knows how much longer, since it was there when I got it), with two different engines. Never had a problem.
A vented cap doesn't hurt, but if you've got suction enough to crush tanks and twist up floats, I'd question what else is wrong.
Sounds fishy to me.

Vanner68
10-20-2001, 07:14 PM
If the tank's vent tube is kinked or plugged you can get a situation where the tank will collapse. The fuel pump draws quite a bit at freeway speeds. As far as replacing fuel line, get a good tubing bender and follow the stock line. It's fairly open and not hard to do.

tonye66
10-21-2001, 10:40 PM
Hey vanner68, I do not have a bird and I did not kill my wife (bad and mean pun)

Tony

Vanner68
10-21-2001, 10:57 PM
With cable tv there are no obscure references.....

Tnicean
10-22-2001, 02:49 AM
Hi Madelf,
May sound fishy, but it's the truth. I bought my van when it was two years old. Honestly, I didn't pay attention to whether the original cap was vented or not. Plus that was nearly 30 years ago. After I put a vented cap back on, I have had no more fuel pump or tank problems. Where did you get the info that the original caps were unvented? That doesn't make sense to me, since there is no other way for my tank to vent except through the cap.

tonye66
10-22-2001, 11:56 PM
Actually, my friends mom's 84 Buick lesabre wouldn't pass emissions because of a blocked vent cap. He went back around to the end of the line, got out, took a screwdriver and hammer and made his own "vented gas cap". And suprisingly enough, it worked! Now, another four years out of that gas cap.

Tony

MadElf
10-23-2001, 06:26 PM
Well, I didn't really GET the information. It was an observation based on experience. I've driven quite a few older vehicles and I don't think I've run into an original vented cap on anything older than the mid 70's. I've been spit at when taking the gas cap off by many makes of vehicles so the unvented cap that came on the van didn't surprise me.
Plus the cap that I have on now (non-vented) is the one listed as a matching replacement for a '69 Chevy Pick-up. (No listing for the van, naturally)I doubt that the pick-up would have been un-vented and the van vented.
So my logic is sound, but I could still be wrong. It's bound to happen someday.
http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif
(actually I'm wrong on a fairly regular basis. Just in case you hadn't noticed)

65dream
10-23-2001, 07:04 PM
do you get replacement fuel line at a auto store or somewhere else how about the tube bender thanks alot , frank

65dream
10-23-2001, 07:09 PM
can you repair the oinhole holes in the metal line ?

65dream
10-23-2001, 07:10 PM
can you repair the Pinhole holes in the metal line ?

Vanner68
10-23-2001, 09:29 PM
You can get fuel line at most parts stores, mesure up how much that you need. Diameter is usually 5/16". The same store should have benders too. It's much easier and safer to replace the line than to repair it.

MadElf
10-23-2001, 09:42 PM
If you're really lazy (like me) you can get reinforced rubber gas line hose by the foot and route it anywhere. Just make sure it's up out of the way & secured so it's not rubbing on anything. The plastic zip ties work well.
I'm sure some people are cringing by now, but I've had the stuff last for years. (Actually the truck gave out before the hose did)

painterchris
10-23-2001, 11:32 PM
I definitely cringed at the all rubber fuel hose suggestion. I have seen several vehicles go up in smoke (literally) because of this modification. The most common problem is that the line either gets a hole rubbed or burned through it. Gas gets on the engine. Poof. I would strongly suggest that you DON'T replace metal lines with rubber ones unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
Later,
Andy.

Scott
10-24-2001, 12:18 AM
Whether you know what you're doing or not long rubber lines are a bad choice. Metal lines are cheap, really cheap, no more than the rubber ones. If you are afraid of bending metal lines because you think you'll kink the lines you can buy preflaired lengths with a spring around the tube that allows you to bend without the aid of a tube bender. Though you can buy a simple bender for under CAN$10. Or even better, a friendly shop would lend you theirs for an hour or two.
Also, you can get the flexable metal weave variety that is totally heat resistant and comes in lengths with couplers attached. Just ask about them at a NAPA or equivalent dealer. All you need to know is how long you want it and what size threads you need at either end.

------------------
Spread power with words" - Asian Dub Foundation

Scott
10-24-2001, 12:21 AM
O yeah, you can repair them with that expensive plastimetal two part epoxy, but it won't last worth $!*&. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Vanner68
10-24-2001, 08:33 PM
Or you can invent a "Star Trek" type transporter and install the transmitter in th tank and the receiver on the carb and do away with fuel line entirely... http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif

MadElf
10-25-2001, 08:13 PM
Or mount the gas tank on top of the dog-house cover and gravity feed!